cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall socket

Monkton
Tuning in

Hi there,

My wall socket in my bedroom has been fitted in a terrible position.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything special in the wall unit, or would I be ok to extend the coax cable, run it behind my plasterboard, and run it directly to the bedroom box that I'm planning on mounting to the wall behind my TV.

Mick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

explain the problem that the tech put it in the wrong place of his choice as no one was in the room with him and see if they will send a tech FOC - if not then its the £25 charge

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No you cannot alter the co-ax cables from VM. If this is a quick start then phone and change to a manned install.  They will run cables to wherever you need them.  
Otherwise it’s a very reasonable £25 call out. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Is there a reason I'm not allowed to alter things myself?

We had a manned installation, but unfortunately it happened while I was away at work, and the wall socket had been fitted while my wife wasn't in the room. If either of us had seen the installation at the time things would have been said.

I'm fairly handy with tools and wires, and would have no issues doing the work myself.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes.

It violates the T&C's of your contract and the cable you can buy very often is not up to the VM "standard & quality" and can introduce "noise" into the network that can affect your neighbours connectivity.

I know this from personal experience when unbeknown to me - my daughter Moved a V6 box using some longer "high quality" cable from Amazon and brought my neighbours connection down 😞

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s against VM’s T&C to alter any cables. They use special coax not is not available to buy retail, contrary what you may see on Amazon, and the F plugs are crimped on. Cheap coax can introduce noise into the system that will not only affect your connection, but all users on the same street box.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ok, against T&C's. 

I might just cough up the £25 and get them out to fix their own idiocy 🙄

Can you advise me the best number to try and call for this please 

Mick 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

explain the problem that the tech put it in the wrong place of his choice as no one was in the room with him and see if they will send a tech FOC - if not then its the £25 charge

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the hint and tips.

I now have a foc visit on Thursday 

Cheers all.

Mick

PS, I could so easily have done it myself 

Welcome back to the community @Monkton and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that the socket has been left in a really bad state, thats far from the service that we should be having from our team.

Any repairs would need to be carried out by a Virgin Media technician.

I'm glad that you could arrange a technician visit, how did it go?

Regards,

Steven_L

The tech that came out was quite annoyed by what the installation tech had done.

We had a chat about what I wanted, he quickly carried out what was needed, with very little disturbance to my house, showed me what he'd done, and made sure my set up was still working properly.

I can't help thinking that if this tech had done the initial work I'd not have had to ask for a second visit.

All sorted out now.

Many thanks for all the input.

Mick