cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall socket says openreach

Jimjam65
Joining in

Hi, just moved into new house and received my quickstart kit. I assumed when placing my order and being told quickstart was available that I'd just need to plug it in. However my wall socket is an openreach one not a vm one. Is this compatible or will I need an engineer? My daughter requires immediate connection for university lectures and posts on here are showing real issues with engineer availability. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

No the Openreach socket is not used for Virginmedia, if you were offered a quick start then the property has had a Virginmedia connection at some time, can you have a look around and see if there is any Virginmedia / Telewest / Blueyonder / NTLWorld branded sockets in your property. Also if you look outside there should be a brown / grey box on the outside of the property. If you can't find either then looks like the previous owner has removed the sockets / external box and you will need an engineer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

No the Openreach socket is not used for Virginmedia, if you were offered a quick start then the property has had a Virginmedia connection at some time, can you have a look around and see if there is any Virginmedia / Telewest / Blueyonder / NTLWorld branded sockets in your property. Also if you look outside there should be a brown / grey box on the outside of the property. If you can't find either then looks like the previous owner has removed the sockets / external box and you will need an engineer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the reply. Is this the case for virgin fibre or just cable? I was under the impression that VM staff checked if VM had been used at the property in the past 3 yrs. The previous owner has had this box for much longer than that. 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

That would be for both as all Virginmedia cable / fibre comes down their own infrastructure.

Regards Mike

So how do I get an engineer as no reply on phone or message board? My daughter is at uni and has online exams very soon. I did tell the operator that I hadn't had chance to check the boxes. A little disappointed already. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

if the box has been removed there would be no way for VM to know this.

The boxes and cables shouldn't be modified by anyone but VM so when this happens there is no way to know.

You have 3 options

1) call in and book  a manned install

2) wait on here for a VM staff member to reply and book you are. (currently about 7 days delay)

3) try the txt service

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can cancel the VM connection within 14 days without a charge. Although as you haven't connected or been activated then it shouldn't have started yet

Call at 08.00 and go to cancellations. See if they can sort it for you, but if they say it needs a manned install then the time to getting a connection will be "unknown and variable".  Also look at Andruser's response to a similar issue here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-date-changed-without-warning...

I would be looking at some quick Openreach connection possibilities too - if VM prevaricate

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

1 step at a time - start outside - is there a grey/brown box 

if there is follow any cables from it to inside - if you cannot find any remove the cover of the box and see if they have drilled behind the box and pshed the cable through

not all properties have an internal box - there might just be a cable coming from any external box

all VM know is that there has been service there in the past

check and post photos of anything you find

Tony.
Sacked VIP