cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall socket not in the right place

shi123
Joining in

I've signed up last month to start today. I got my installation kit and I've realised this needs to be installed by connecting to a wall socket.

The wall socket is far from where our TV is - and we need to connect the tv to the wi fi box too obvs.

My options are
1. Cancel and get another open reach broadband as the previous one with the risk of not having broadband for days/ weeks before switch

2. Get virgin engineer to move the wall socket. No idea what that entails/ how long and how successful this will be. Will I end up needing to repaint wall etc? Initial cost is £25, but they might find reasons to come back and charge extra...

I've never had virgin before. Any advice/ experience will be so appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on.. 0800 052 1734 explain the issue and say you need a Tech install instead. They will arrange it you might get away with it for free bur expect a £25 charge

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

How long would you expect that to take? 

do you think ill end up with walls needing repainting etc? 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Depends on Tech availability in you location sooner you call sooner it will happen.

They will need to fit a splitter and run coax to the old connector - that can be done externally to a new internal socket. They usually drill a pretty neat hole and can fit over it a "faceplate" + connector to hide any work.

Or they could run the co-ax from a splitter located at the original wall box - internally - if that was convenient for you and you could hide the cable under carpet, at skirting boards etc. But be aware the Tech will not do anything other than do the connections and trail the cable - perhaps clip it to skirting boards etc..

Or it will be down to you to conceal it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.