Menu
Lb19
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wall socket not compatible with hub

I’ve just moved in and as I gathered the previous people had Virgin internet and TV, I ordered a quick startup kit.

However my Virgin wall socket does not have a silver connector, but instead 2 black cables leading out of it (which come from outside). I assumed I could plug one of these into the ‘wall’ part of the splitter, but they don’t seem compatible. Is there an adaptor available, or will I need a technician?D9952B8E-028D-41A3-8030-795FF9FC30F7.jpeg

FC26485D-FD75-44E3-84EB-FA0C201853B2.jpeg

7B022F0D-0D36-4D27-91D6-F853452A43E9.jpeg

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wall socket not compatible with hub

Hi you will need an engineer to fit the correct wall mount and maybe run the correct coxial cable from outside and into the property and set up the hub & V6 box.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does the cable coming through the wall go to the omnibox on the outside of your house? Where does the Siamese cable go that leave picture 1 at the top right? Possibly there is a termination some else in your home. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Lb19
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes the cable coming through the wall goes to the omnibus outside our block of flats.

As this cable comes inside the house (seen leaving picture 1), it is split into 2x f connector sockets, one of which is shown in picture 3 (probably not very clearly). 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you have a hub and a V6? Try and connect one cable to the hub and the other cable to the IEC cable which in turns connects to the V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
EightBall
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's a Sky cable.

Either Sky have used Virgin's drill hole to feed their cable in, or some installer has used a sky cable to connect the previous person up. The Sky cable will probably work but is likely to cause noise on the VM network (could already be) and should really be replaced if it is indeed connected to a VM drop.

I would call for a technician visit, explaining that it it's not working. I wouldn't tell them about the cable on the phone. When the tech arrives, tell them you want the right cabling installed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lb19

Thanks for your post 

Like everyone has advised, you would need an engineer to come out and fully rewire the whole cabling for you. 

Have you been able to call yet?

If not I can have a look for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Lb19
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all.

Gareth, I’ve managed to arrange for an engineer to come out next week. 

I’m on the second floor of a block of flats (the Virgin box on the ground floor outside is linked up to a few flats). If it needs recabling, I’m worried about how problematic that will be. I guess I’ll just have to see what they say.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lb19

Were sure the engineer will be able to get this sorted 

If its not possible on the day by just him. We are sure he can call for assistance 

and get you up and running 

Can you please let us know how it goes 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos