cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall socket broken?

Pera
Joining in

E6E7D31B-4107-4F8E-B4D4-5256AFEBA701.jpeg

I think there’s something missing to the Virgin Media wall socket in my flat. There is no way I can insert the isolator cable into the socket (there just is an empty space when I push the red-banded end of the isolator cable into the bottom of the wall socket). So I’ve tried inserting it to the socket below it instead but it’s not working. Is there something wrong with my wall socket?

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the isolator has been removed. Try taking the cover off to see if there is a cable inside with a plug on the end/

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your swift reply. Here’s the inside. There is nothing. Why would someone remove the isolator?

D958856C-3E20-411A-B6DF-350B022F8498.jpeg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Pera 

Unless there's another box like that in the property it looks like you need a manned install.

You could try calling the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734

They are open  8:00am to 9:00pm  Monday to Friday, and 8:00am to 6:00pm Saturday and Sunday

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a slim possibility that the cable has been pulled through the wall and is terminated at one of the sockets in the second proxy down. Although it’s probably missing as Sky installers often remove the VM cables.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor,

Thank you. I’ve asked the old tenants and turns out they were advised not to use the VM wall socket so they have used another socket, located in another room, with Sky. I have called a VM technician who will look at it - hopefully he’ll be able to fix the VM wall socket or (hopefully?) to connect the Hub to the other wall socket (albeit not a VM branded one). 

All the best,

Pera

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pera thanks for your message although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding the wall plate.

It's great to hear however, that you've managed to get a technician arranged as you've mentioned here to get this sorted.

If you do need any help following this though, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W