cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall box has no socket?

nb321
Tuning in

Just moved house and was told I all I had to do was plug in the hub at the new property. The wall box is Virgin branded, but has no external cable or connector on it. I unscrewed the front cover and still can't see any connections. Any ideas?

Screenshot_20210807-073602.png

Screenshot_20210807-073652~2.png

10 REPLIES 10

DavidJWalker
Well-informed
only way to sort that out is to get a install by virgin media

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@nb321 wrote:

Just moved house and was told I all I had to do was plug in the hub at the new property. The wall box is Virgin branded, but has no external cable or connector on it. I unscrewed the front cover and still can't see any connections. Any ideas?

Screenshot_20210807-073602.png

Screenshot_20210807-073652~2.png

it may be possible to sort that yourself assuming the connection works - the cable coming through the upper hole is likely the input - thats been extended to somewhere else in the house so if you want the hub where the wall box is dis connect the bottom part of the joint and screw the isolator cable that came with the hub into the top cable - use the connector thats already there

turn on the hub and see what happens - if it works then you are good to go - slightly untidy and you may want to book a tech to sort it - they may want to charge you £99 as its a working connection - have non of that - wait for VM here

if you want the hub somewhere else then follow the bottom cable and see where that goes you should find an end - that may be another wall box - if so connect to that or it may be  vable end - if its just a cable end you need one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

that lets you join the isolator cable - again see if it works - if not then you need a tech to sort it

EDIT - the snag in all of that is that if the bottom cable goes outside your property it may be a diy or bodged VM job to connect someone else if you are in a flat or a shared property so if you unscrew the joint you may cut someone else off - not sure thats your problem if you do - so a bit of asking other people if it is a shared accommodation might be prudent - if the bottom wire just goes to another room then theres not a problem

if it is a feed to another customer then its easy enough to sort - a splitter instead of the joint would do it but VM should do that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for your help! I've looked in other rooms and can't see any sockets - one room has an ethernet cable coming out of the floor, but I can't see anything looking like the normal white hub cable.

I can't follow the cable as it goes straight into the wall and disappears. I'll try screwing it directly into the hub.

The property isn't shared, so just the one house. 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@nb321 wrote:

Thanks for your help! I've looked in other rooms and can't see any sockets - one room has an ethernet cable coming out of the floor, but I can't see anything looking like the normal white hub cable.

I can't follow the cable as it goes straight into the wall and disappears. I'll try screwing it directly into the hub.

The property isn't shared, so just the one house. 

ok then you are safe to unscrew the bottom cable - just add the isolator cable - power up and see what happens

join to the top cable - the bottom on is of no interest at this time

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I tried connecting with the wire direct from the Virgin box, but it would always just flash green lights on the hub. Called Virgin and they said they couldn't see the hub so it's not working. There must be another port in the house, but can't find it anywhere! 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

thats the input - the phone line tells you that - so if you dont get an internet connection when connecting to the top cable you need to book a tech to sort it

the one thing you may have missed is activation - connect everything up again and ring the activation line - 0800 953 9500 - if that does not help then book a tech

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I've not used a phone line for our Virgin internet as we don't have a landline. We have an engineer coming next week. 

Hi @nb231

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Keep us updated on how that tech visit goes.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The technician visited and sorted everything. One of the cables outside of the house had been cut, plus there were some unusual wiring and placement of cables. All good now and have 217Mbps download and 20Mbps upload throughout the house!