cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting to move access point -- no contact from Virgin

spoovy
Joining in

I currently have cables above ground over my driveway from the access point to the box on my wall while I wait for the access point to be moved to the edge of my property (from the middle of my driveway where it is at the moment).

I was told by the guy pulling the cable from the cabinet that I would have to wait about a month most likely for it to be moved, and he made some markings on the footway.   I've heard nothing from Virgin media about this though, so I have no idea whether this request was even lodged let alone what the progress is.

Can anyone here help (Virgin staff I would imagine) give me an idea what is going on?

26 REPLIES 26

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you post up some photos of the current cabling and where you want it to go.

Might help us understand what you mean by... "access point in the middle of my drive way".

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi spoovy,

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from the team regarding the migration of your access point. We'll be happy to arrange a visit for you so this can be done. Just to let you know, there will be a one off charge for the visit for £25.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take your details and arrange this with you if you're still happy to go ahead with it.

Kind regards

Beth

I'm told that it has to be the council to move the access point, as it's on the public highway.  Is this not the case?

Also why should I pay to have it moved? This was never mentioned before.

cje85
Trouble shooter

By access point do you mean a street cabinet? If so there is almost no chance of that being moved (and in the highly unlikely event that they agree to move it, it will cost thousands) 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The council won't do it but they have to give permission. The work will be done by a contractor working for Virgin Media. But you will have to pay for it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You might like to read this thread and see if it is relevant to your request. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Drop-Kerb-With-CATV-Cover/td-p/4928393

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

No not a cabinet, the access point is a small vertical tube with a cap on, in the footway about 5cm in front of the edge of my property (in the centre line of my driveway; thankfully I can just about squeeze the car past it).  This access point allows access to the ducting under the footway which is I believe maintained by the highway authority (local council in my case).  At the time the VM engineer turned up there was nothing in the ducting; now there's the VM cable between the cabinet and my house.

driveway.jpg

The access point needs moving to the edge of my property (the right of this photograph) so I don't have to have my driveway torn up to lay the cable.  Nobody mentioned any potential difficulty (or cost) moving the access point when I signed up for VM, they just told me it would be moved prior to 'go live' date.   Well that was on the 18th March and it hasn't been moved yet and nobody from VM has been in touch to give me an update.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It looks like the access point was put at the edge of the original driveway, which has then been widened leaving the access point in the middle.

The problem now is that you have a working installation that you have accepted. Are you outside the 14 day cancellation period?  If so you are going to find it hard to get Virgin to move it without you paying the cost of doing the work - unless you were given an undertaking in writing that it would be moved. 

- jpeg1

@jpeg1 wrote:

It looks like the access point was put at the edge of the original driveway, which has then been widened leaving the access point in the middle.

....Snip

That is certainly how it looks to me from the pictures, @spoovy realistically, VM will absolutely not move the junction point - they would have been given permission by the local council to put it in that place originally, and moving it now will be very expensive, and they are just not going to do it - well not at least at their cost, of course if you were to pay for digging up your drive and making good afterwards then maybe!