Menu
jermako
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Waiting 6 years for the service to be avilable...

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with understanding how it works.

There is 12 houses altogether at our little street and they are all semidetached.

Only 3 of them can be connected to VM and the rest has been waiting over 6 year to get the service.

I talked to pre-install team today and they said we still have to wait.

My question is-why my next door neighbour can have it and I can't?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Waiting 6 years for the service to be avilable...

There are a number of possible reasons but a VM person may respond to give you chapter and verse.

e.g. Your "local area" may have reached the maximum number of subscribers ots hardware can support and VM will be loathe to go back to the "oversubscribing" model that caused them angst a year or two ago.
There may be a cabling issue - for example there may be a major underground "blocker" to getting the cables pulled through that might make it uneconomic to do for just a few users.
VM can expand.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to good info, is your property on a private road, would agree not very cost effective to wire a small street

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And to add again to the two bits of good information above.

You have no "right" to VM services. They fund all network expansion from the subscriptions we all pay. They are a private business, receive no government subsidy and every cable laid is done on a case by case business footing.

You HAVE a right to an Open reach connection. They receive government subsidy and have a USO - Universal Service Obligation to provide a minimum service to every property.

Maybe the question should be "When are the publicly subsidised OpenReach network going to provide acceptable broadband provision under the USO"?

Thats one your local MP could help with. They have no leverage with VM.

Just thinking about options for you.....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos