Menu
TanjuHergeleci
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 350

Hey, 

So recently my contract has ended and we are paying a lot more than what we were before however my area is only offered Vivid 200. This is a problem for me as we are a big family and have many devices, at least 15 always connected. And this can sometimes cause some problems because the WiFi starts to slow down lot, so I wanted to upgrade to the new Vivid 350! However, Virgin is not giving me a date on when it will arrive in my area. Last year aroudn these times we were not offered Vivid 200 either however after comainging we were told they would add it to our area soon. 30 days later we were given this speed. I’ve talked to many people about this issue and no one can give me the information I am looking for. There is no point starting another contract with the Vivid 200 WiFi as it just isn’t fast enough. Can someone from the virgin media team please give me a date for when my area will have this speed. And is there anyway to request it to come to my area any quicker. My area reference code is 15.

I hope someone is able to give me the information I need and quick because I will be cancelling my plan if I cannot be given a date.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 350

I can’t supply the answer as to when the 350Mb product will be available in your area but ask you the following questions:

What other providers in your area can match 200Mb? What are your options, other than staying with Virgin Media on 200Mb?

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Could you wire some of the 15 units via ethernet cables direct to the hub for improvement?

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
TanjuHergeleci
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin can just give me a date to when they can add it to my area and i don’t have to wait too long then I would prefer to stay with them. I mean how difficult is it to give a date 😕 

Last year I complained on the phone and I was told they would add it within a few months, and within 30 days I received this speed. 

Could you not get in touch with any one else who may have a higher role in order to find this information for me? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So far, you have had advice from other customers.

Virgin Media can take a week or more to respond at times.

In the meanwhile, and assuming that the 350Mb product is not available, what is your plan to get 200Mb+ elsewhere?

0 Kudos
TanjuHergeleci
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you don’t have a solution to my answer you don’t need to be commenting, thank you for your help but I’ll wait for Virgin to reply. 

If anything I will have to try start a new contract with virgin with the 350mb plan however ask credit to be applied monthly until they add that speed to my area. If you can just understand the point I am trying to make, I don’t want to start a new contract with Vivid 200 and later on find out they added it to my area. 

That’s why I am asking for a date or at least an indication to when it can be added, for example it may take 3 months. Hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

you can sign up to 200 and upgrade later when its in your area

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay.

So they aren't going to give you a credit for supplying you with what you are paying for. You can buy Vivid 200 and upgrade when 350 is ready but you can't order 350, pay for 200 and receive a credit, that's impossible.

However I doubt that Vivid 350 will help you. If someone is choking all the bandwidth with Bittorrent or newsgroups they'll continue to use all the bandwidth regardless of what tier of service you're on. 

Likewise, if it's a problem on the WiFi side changing how much capacity you have on the cable connection itself isn't going to help.

There are solutions but they'll either cost money or convenience. Get whomever is using all the capacity to stop it - I doubt that 15 devices are all needing to consume lots of bandwidth, it's far more likely a single user or perhaps two are using all the bandwidth. Their torrent uploads or newsgroup downloads can wait until off-peak times. You could alternatively get a better wireless router that has some options on it to limit the bandwidth each device can consume. Another bonus of getting a better router is that if there is congestion on the wireless side you will be able to improve performance with a more capable piece of kit. There may also be some mileage in forcing some devices over to the 5 GHz channels on your wireless router.

Either way Vivid 200 is enough for 10 of your devices to be streaming ultra HD from Netflix and the other 5 to be streaming in standard HD all at once. What it's not enough for is people running Bittorrent clients that have no bandwidth limits set on their upload, which is the most likely culprit. They will equally happily cripple Vivid 350 as they are Vivid 200 and whomever is running them needs to buy their own connection through BT or whomever or stop hogging the connection either through choice of being throttled on your router.

You have 300, 400 or even more homes sharing the equivalent of 8 x Vivid 200 connections of capacity with you. It's fair to say that there's something up if enough capacity to serve 50+ properties isn't enough for your one.

CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@TanjuHergeleci wrote:

I hope someone is able to give me the information I need and quick because I will be cancelling my plan if I cannot be given a date.

If you need more than 200Mb this badly and someone else can supply it, and I presume they can given you say you will cancel your plan, the solution seems obvious.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

@TanjuHergeleci wrote:

If you need more than 200Mb this badly and someone else can supply it, and I presume they can given you say you will cancel your plan, the solution seems obvious.

I suspect from the lack of response to my questioning that there is no other supplier with similar speeds.

0 Kudos