cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin won't install - help

Dannysingh8
On our wavelength

I've just moved into my new house and signed up for Virgin Broadband through their black friday deal (100mb for £25) last week and the install was booked for Monday. However, the mrs got a call from Virgin yesterday saying that they won't be able install because they can't dig 14m underground to get to the property.. surely there must be a solution for this?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dannysingh8 wrote:

<snip>   When checking for other providers i'm only getting around 60mbps which won't be good as me and the mrs both work from home, I play online on my PS5 and even use some apps to stream football games on my Smart TV.

What if I was to cover the installation cost? I really need Virgin broadband and willing to pay more for it.

60 mb should be more than adequate for what you describe, and you will get better gaming with lower latency with xDSL.

As for installation costs, no idea but guessing into the thousands.  It's not just a simple matter of digging a hole, there are a lot of Civil costs etc. etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

67 REPLIES 67

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

They will only install if it will be profitable to them. If they can't be sure of getting the installation costs back in a short time they won't do it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Dannysingh8
On our wavelength

The previous homeowner told me they received a letter over a year ago from Virigin confirming fibre will be installed in the area soon but it still hasn't. I'm sure the whole estate has it but my house is the last one. 

When checking for other providers i'm only getting around 60mbps which won't be good as me and the mrs both work from home, I play online on my PS5 and even use some apps to stream football games on my Smart TV.

What if I was to cover the installation cost? I really need Virgin broadband and willing to pay more for it.

@Dannysingh8 wrote:

<snip>

You may be surprised at the cost of VM's civil engineering works

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/CATV-cover-information-fro-dropped-kerb/m...

this is not an untypical figure for tasks which, on the face of it, seem to be simple ones such as digging a trench.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dannysingh8 wrote:

<snip>   When checking for other providers i'm only getting around 60mbps which won't be good as me and the mrs both work from home, I play online on my PS5 and even use some apps to stream football games on my Smart TV.

60 mb should be more than adequate for what you describe, and you will get better gaming with lower latency with xDSL.

As for installation costs, no idea but guessing into the thousands.  It's not just a simple matter of digging a hole, there are a lot of Civil costs etc. etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks Adduxi. 

Which website can i go on to find the right deal? 

you have alot to chouse from bt, plusnet, EE, Sky or any others that use openrech network make sure you pick fibre broadband to get that 60mb speeds i have bt connection along with virgin connection

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

Tried POP telecom and can't get fibre, only standard broadband av speed 11mbps for £20 a month, but they did say fibre (av speed 67mbps) will be available in 1-2 months when a slot becomes available and will be £25 a month. Setup cost £40 free upgraded router. 

Is this a good deal? Should I check any other providers? I've never heard of POP telecom and want to get this sorted today.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try uSwitch website, they compare ISP deals?

Thought I'd check POP telecom reviews and they are extremely bad which has immediately put me off!

Plusnet have also confirmed fibre is not available... 

What do I do?!