cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connection issues

begnpitch
Joining in

Just upgraded from M200 to M350 due to numerous connection issues that have been going on for months. Was told to split the wifi and did this a few months ago but this caused more issues so had to revert back to the normal set-up. I have to make outbound calls as part of my job and the connection drops constantly and cuts people off. I upgraded recently and was told by retentions that the upgrade would resolve issues with connection dropping and if not to call to ask for a new hub ( have the superhub 3). I am now tied in for 18 months. We work from home and have laptops connected to the wifi. Called VM to complain as the issue was still happening and was told the only solution was to pay £5 a month extra for the extenders. Apparently no router upgrade is possible with our set-up and the hub 3 is the best solution (!) I said I was not happy to pay more as we pay £84 a month as it is. There is nothing that they will do apart from suggesting I do the pinhole reset on the hub. This has been attempted several times in the past without success. Said they would make some changes behind the scenes and keep an eye on the connection (dubious). The man I spoke to then said that our Xbox was the issue and then was told it was due to too many people working from home. We have a lot of devices connected as we are a 5 person family with gamers as well and this is why I am paying for the M350 option. He told me to call back in 7 days if it's still happening but this issue has been going on for months. Any ideas for a solution? Starting to lose the plot with them to be honest.

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You've been missold.  If your connection wasn't working at a lower speed, then there was no chance of it working at a higher speed.  I'd raise a formal complaint about that, and if VM don't put things right escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.

Can you describe the problem?  And then do the following two things:

1) Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log, using separate posts to remain inside character limits.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

2) Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The phone support staff seem to do this frequently - upselling to a more expensive contract when it won't solve the problem.  If the practice isn’t illegal it's certainly highly immoral.  Complain until you get a refund and compensation. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @begnpitch thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear of your ongoing intermittent connection issue.  I am also sorry to hear of any mis-selling.  I would like to take a look at this on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R