cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media broadband (Help)

markel580
Joining in

So I’ve been with Virgin media Broadband for about a week and from day one I’ve been having connection issue, my engineer put a 15db( something to reduce the connection to the box because he said it was coming in too high which could then cause the box to cut out)

My minimum guaranteed speed should be 54mbps but I am getting anywhere between 10-40 on a good day

The first problem we noticed was that we couldn’t watch a simple YouTube video in 1080p 🥴 and then the internet keeps dropping in and out so I did a bit of research and found that separating the frequency and splitting up my devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz could help with connection issue which I did.

Smart tv

So on the 2.4ghz the picture quality is okay and it can last a bit before dropping out and the 5ghz is definitely the best frequency for performance but it disconnects every 5m 😭

Been on the phone with virgin more times that I can count these past few days and tbh they have been so useless, I don’t want to switch because I know the internet is good it’s just hooked up to a poorly made virgin box, I’ve read that it’s best to put virgin into modem mode and get a another router to broadcast signal which should fix my problem right ? any suggestion on what router to get ?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

VM hub WiFi is notoriously feeble and you are better off using your own premium router from the likes of Asus or Netgear. 

However before doing so let's check that your broadband is within the right parameters. Go to 192.168.0.1 and then Advanced Settings and copy and paste the tables from all the tabs here. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

15dB attenuator are rarely used, you must be extremely near the street cabinet or your totally on the wrong tap. 
Here is the way to get stats:

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Markel580, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing with the service. 

I am going to pop you over a private message to grab a few details so that I may check things from our side. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat