cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media box move

RanjVM
Joining in

Hi

i want to be able to split my connection from the brown box to another connection box under the stairs. So I have the option the place the hub either in the living room or under the stairs. The cable to the stairs will be between the walls, so will have duplicate cable for redundancy. 

if this possible ?

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be possible, but could you further explain the reasons as we may be able to offer alternatives. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi

im planning an extension and instead of moving the current brown box and connection in living room I wanted another connection point under the stairs. 
I wanted to get the cables put through the walls to another brown connection box to side or front of property. Can I link the brown boxes via a splitter? 

I only have the internet service.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By brown box I presume you mean the omnibox on the outside of your property. As you only have one service, VM would probably put a new internal termination white box under the stairs for you, but remove the existing internal white box. I you are doing extensive internal work I should look at installing Ethernet cables and WiFi access points with your own router. Cost of work would be £25.

I have two internal white termination boxes, one for the TV in the living room and one under the stairs for the VM hub. I run in modem mode with my own router (NOT a retail router/WiFi/ network switch) which is under the stairs with the hub and two ceiling mounted WiFi access points upstairs and downstairs. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi

yes, I will be running Ethernet cables throughout the new extension to my ubiquiti setup with Ap’s on the ceiling and loft space. 

probably run cat6a and Poe through to devices.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RanjVM wrote:

<snip>   probably run cat6a and Poe through to devices.

You definitely should use PoE, that is the way to go   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RanjVM, thanks for your post here in the community threads.

As Tudor has suggested, we can arrange for your Hub in effect to be relocated by us doing work in your property but this may disable the existing omnibox that you currently have - the tech callout charges are generally £25.

If you'd like me to get this arranged for you, please let me know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Is it possible to have 2 omni boxes, with a link between them both with a splitter?

Hi RanjVM, 

I'm afraid you won't be able to have more than one omni box as this is what feeds the cable from the ground. 

As mentioned above by Tom, we can arrange an engineer's visit for you to move the connection but it would likely disable to other connection. You can speak to the engineer then and they can help you further. 

If you want us to book the visit in, let us know so we can arrange this for you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs