cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin line?

Atreyu74
Tuning in

I have just joined virgin and I am waiting for my router to arrive. I was given the quickstart option but I have no idea where the virgin phone point would be. I have an open reach point but I was told virgin use a separate line. Or does this still go to the same box? Newly rented property

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if they have allowed quick start the there has been a VM install there in the past 

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

Yep can't see anything there

Some example pic's in the links below

Inside the property you should look for a VM wall box as per example here

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/quickstart/about-quickstart

Shapes and sizes may vary and may be branded with other previous cable companies (NTL, Telewest, Nynex etc.). In some cases the box may not be present and you may just have a trailing coax cable.

If you can't find anything on the inside, look on the outside for an external box as per example photo at #2 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Incorrect-wall-socket/td-p/4558947

colour may be brown or grey and may also be branded with earlier company names. If you find that outside, trace the wire from it and see where it enters your property.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

Pretty much opposite. The dual cable runs to sat dish. Virgin chat are sending me some cable and connectors. 

OK well I think that establishes then that your VM cable has been chopped off at some point in the past and replaced with a satellite cable.

You won't easily be able to make any connections with the ready-made VM cables and I doubt they will be long enough to be useful (aside from the matter of getting them through the wall). You shouldn't really be trying your own DIY connections inside the external omni box and, judging from the corroded and poor condition of the connectors, you'll probably not get a very good connection anyway. It also looks as if others may be linked up to that box as well so you would need to avoid doing anything that would disturb their VM service.

Would suggest that you get back onto VM and advise them that your internal connections have been removed by someone at some point in the past and that you need a technician installation. That should give you the best chance of it working properly from the start.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

I'll buy a new splitter. Virgin are sending 5m cables and the other connection is to the upstairs of our property. 

Well, I'd advise against that kind of DIY installation and adding your own components, such as a splitter, in the omnibox. Your VM hub requires a signal level within a certain range to work correctly, which will depend on how it is connected in the street cabinet and also the length of cable (inc. internal cable) to the VM hub. Putting in your own length of cable, you have no way of changing that signal level if it is not within spec. AFAIK, the longest length of pre-made cable VM can supply you with is 3m for that reason.

Any DIY connection you make yourself, also has the possibility of adversely affecting other VM customers who are connected locally, including your neighbour if they are on VM, by injecting noise into the network if it is not done correctly.

Annoying though it is to have to involve VM in the process, I'd suggest you go with the technician installation. That way you'll know your own setup should be correct at the start and your own installation won't be affecting anyone else in an adverse way.

Hope you get it sorted.

19 REPLIES 19

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

There should be an internal box marked as Virginmedia or one of the older ones i.e. NTL, Blueyonder, if you cannot find one have a look outside for a brown or grey box and trace where the connection goes too. All Virginmedia connections are now all coaxial connections, if you have ordered a phone line this is supplied from the back of the hub. Virginmedia do not use openreach.

If there is no socket then it could have been removed by previous renter and you will need to either phone up or waiting a few days for a forum staff member to arrange an engineer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Eeeps
Well-informed

@Atreyu74 wrote:

I have just joined virgin and I am waiting for my router to arrive. I was given the quickstart option but I have no idea where the virgin phone point would be. I have an open reach point but I was told virgin use a separate line. Or does this still go to the same box? Newly rented property

VM use their own network infrastructure that is completely separate from BT Openreach.

Also, this is (mostly) provided by a coaxial cable rather that the more normal telephone wires.

Depending on the type of rental property (Flats or House), the VM connection usually comes in from the street to an external box on the wall (brown or grey).
From there, there should be one or more coaxial cables running to one or more internal boxes in your property (normally white). 
This is where you connect your modem and/or TV box.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if they have allowed quick start the there has been a VM install there in the past 

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

Some example pic's in the links below

Inside the property you should look for a VM wall box as per example here

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/quickstart/about-quickstart

Shapes and sizes may vary and may be branded with other previous cable companies (NTL, Telewest, Nynex etc.). In some cases the box may not be present and you may just have a trailing coax cable.

If you can't find anything on the inside, look on the outside for an external box as per example photo at #2 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Incorrect-wall-socket/td-p/4558947

colour may be brown or grey and may also be branded with earlier company names. If you find that outside, trace the wire from it and see where it enters your property.

Is the bottom one it?

20210613_094326.jpg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What's on the other end of the black trailing lead coming out of the Bell Cablemedia wall box?

Looks like that could be the original connection but now taken over by a satellite installation perhaps.

Also what is the single lead coming down from the top LHS of the picture? Freeview TV aerial?

Hexagonal screw connectors.

The cable is router power cable