cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin delayed by 2 months- compensation process

asifx
Tuning in

Several of my flat has virgin and the delay was caused by the customer service team not booking a two man job instead booked a normal engineer, he left without any work stating a box wasn't installed outside the property.

Since then Virgin has delayed 3 more appoinments with one appointment which didn't have a job id tied to it. Everytime I had to call and ask, poor to no communication from Virgin. I have raised several complaints which have no reply to them. Also, they have been taking monthly payments out of my bank without providing a service. now the new engineer date is 11th of October which will push it into the 3rd month.

My question is what are the Ofcom rules regarding automatic compensation if I were to leave virgin now?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, the simple version is here, and the full version is linked off the bottom of that page via the link "full code of practice".

In general terms, VM are liable for all delays from any cause, except if the delays are attributable to you, or where meeting the installation date would have otherwise caused VM to break the law.  So delays in contractors turning up, mis-scheduled jobs, general incompetence, that's all VM's fault and they are liable for those delays.  Working without necessary permits or wayleaves and/or landlord permissions would put them in breach of the law, so they are not liable (although failure to request necessary permissions promptly is still VM's problem, as would be slow or incompetent handling of correctly completed permissions).  VM have some unfortunate history for claiming delays are down to council permits, when the customer checked with the council it turned out that the company were lying through their teeth.  You can also add to that the chaos and confusion of trying to discuss compensation with any of VM's offshore customer service agents - those people usually have no clue about such things, but for cultural reasons will make things up to mask their ignorance. 

If you cancel the installation now, then rules are that compensation is payable from the original install date, up to the date you cancel the order.  VM's staff have disputed that with some customers, but the regulations are very clear how this should work.  Usually, when a customer cancels before an installation is completed, VM do not pay the compensation automatically and a complaint is needed, and it often then still needs escalation to the industry complaints adjudicator, CISAS.  You would also be entitled to a full refund of the payments VM have already taken, and a reasonable goodwill gesture of say £50. 

Forum staff will pick this up and will see if they can persuade you to stay, that's up to you, but whether you cancel or allow the installation to continue, make sure you get both the full delayed installation compensation, the refund of all the payments taken before connection, and the additional goodwill payment. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, the simple version is here, and the full version is linked off the bottom of that page via the link "full code of practice".

In general terms, VM are liable for all delays from any cause, except if the delays are attributable to you, or where meeting the installation date would have otherwise caused VM to break the law.  So delays in contractors turning up, mis-scheduled jobs, general incompetence, that's all VM's fault and they are liable for those delays.  Working without necessary permits or wayleaves and/or landlord permissions would put them in breach of the law, so they are not liable (although failure to request necessary permissions promptly is still VM's problem, as would be slow or incompetent handling of correctly completed permissions).  VM have some unfortunate history for claiming delays are down to council permits, when the customer checked with the council it turned out that the company were lying through their teeth.  You can also add to that the chaos and confusion of trying to discuss compensation with any of VM's offshore customer service agents - those people usually have no clue about such things, but for cultural reasons will make things up to mask their ignorance. 

If you cancel the installation now, then rules are that compensation is payable from the original install date, up to the date you cancel the order.  VM's staff have disputed that with some customers, but the regulations are very clear how this should work.  Usually, when a customer cancels before an installation is completed, VM do not pay the compensation automatically and a complaint is needed, and it often then still needs escalation to the industry complaints adjudicator, CISAS.  You would also be entitled to a full refund of the payments VM have already taken, and a reasonable goodwill gesture of say £50. 

Forum staff will pick this up and will see if they can persuade you to stay, that's up to you, but whether you cancel or allow the installation to continue, make sure you get both the full delayed installation compensation, the refund of all the payments taken before connection, and the additional goodwill payment. 

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi asifx, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your installation. 

I can see that Andrew has given you some information regarding the Automatic Compensation scheme. Whilst we can't say for sure whether you will be eligible, what I can advise is that the account will be assessed once the installation is complete. 

If you're being charged, it sounds as though the account was incorrectly activated. Checking things this end, I can see your complaint is still open and is sitting with the right team. Having one open doesn't mean the work is completed any quicker as the teams will already be setting things in motion. 

What I can do is add your post to the complaint and also raise this to stop the account being billed in the meantime. I have sent you a private message to confirm some information with you. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

MikeB10
Joining in

I have had a similar experience - moving address and booked install . Engineer turned up but couldn't install as cable hadn't been run to property.

Cable finally installed to property but I now have to wait almost a month until the engineer can come back to finish installation.  Trying to arrange this was almost impossible with several calls and agents hanging up - not a good service at all.

Tried to escalate by still nothing back even after promises that I would receive a call- very close to cancelling everything 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Latest ofcom rules are here:

https://ofcom.cmail19.com/t/i-l-qjhflt-wklhinik-k/

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi asifx, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your information. 

I have forwarded this over to the Field Teams now for them to get the billing stopped and a refund issues of the billed charges so far. Once I hear back from them, I will pop you an update. 

As mentioned in my previous message, we're not able to expedite the install but at least this should stop any further payments being taken and any further bills being produced. 

Please keep us posted on how things go and if you need anything else, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The engineer was booked for the 11th of Oct, I call to get an update at 6pm, Virgin assures me work is going to be done and the engineer is booked for 6pm-7pm on the day, I call today to see if any work has been done lo and behold, now its 30th of October for a new engineer and no communication.

This is egregious, I am appalled how no one cares and tries to fix anything. I have been on the phone today and someone puts me on hold for 45 mins and cuts the line, it has happened twice with no call back. I suspect it's on purpose.

Also there has been an open complaint for nearly 1 month with no reply.

Hi asifx

Thanks for coming back to the thread, this delay is due to a blocked tee so they're not even able to do a temporary connection. I am sorry for that. The team would be working hard to get this completed for you.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Whats a blocked tee? 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Something that shouldn't take two months to fix. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.