cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin damaged my existing TalkTalk/ Openreach connection during prepull

gspannu
On our wavelength

Signed up to Virgin in November. New Installation.

Confirmed Installation date provided by Virgin: 09 Dec 2021
Virgin pre-pull/ installation team arrived on 06 Dec 2021.
Cleared an obstruction so that a cable could be laid, however the crew damaged my existing TalkTalk/ Openreach box outside the property.
Got message from Virgin same evening: New installation date provided: 27 Dec 2021 (instead of 09 Dec)
Pre-pull of cable still not completed.
4 appointments promised fro prepull, no one from Virgin turned up.

I have NO Broadband/ No telephone line since 06 Dec, because Virgin damaged my existing line.

Multiple calls, chat with Virgin - but no response from Virgin to fix the existing line.

Can anyone from Virgin help?
- Either get my new Virgin broadband installed
- Or repair damage to my existing broadband line.

Photos below… the state in which Virgin crew (construction guys responsible for clearing obstruction) left the site having damaged my existing Openreach box.

18-CBAE18-21-AC-47-D0-8-C7-D-E94-C64806516B50-AE277-32-AE-47-CC-8-C2-F-89-CC17-C0854427606-BC3-41-E0-402-E-9-B22-B8-A78-BDAF7489-D92-E498-48-C1-4500-B7-F5-7-F5638870-AA77-AC3331-C-4-D21-416-A-A129-26-F8408-EE45-EB50-AE277-32-AE-47-CC-8-C2-F-89-CC17-C08544

I have spoken to my existing Broadband provider and they have stated that if the damage has been done by Virgin, then I should complain to Virgin or complain to OFCOM.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ›››››››››
… an extremely disappointed Virgin customer
Update... no longer a Virgin customer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@gspannu wrote:

@goslow What is a reasonable time to expect from Virgin to actually complete an installation? 

I ask as my existing contract with TalkTalk is about to expire, and if Virgin is going to keep pushing the instal;Latino date, I might as well find a new 24 month VDSL fibre (Openreach) deal, rather than suffer Virgin’s pathetic customer service.

There is no reliable answer to this question, unfortunately. If you look at some other people in the same situation as yourself, some of their topics have gone on for months. Such as this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

When the VM installation process goes wrong in this way, no one in VM seems to get a grip of the individual job and take the necessary actions to push it through to a conclusion.

Have you actually cancelled your TalkTalk service or is some sort of discounted introductory price about to expire? What happens if you get the existing TalkTalk service repaired and see if the VM installation progresses any further? You would have to find out the exact T&Cs from TalkTalk but often, once you are out of contract, it becomes a rolling 30 day contract. You would have to check this out yourself with TalkTalk though to be sure.

From your pic's, it looks as if VM have somehow rammed through a draw rope into the duct and smashed your BT box in the process. If that is right, they would use the draw rope to pull in the VM service.

If they have also damaged anything underground, then you may have difficulty getting a BT service up and running anyway so IMO you should first try to get the TalkTalk service repaired.

The rubbish installation service from VM will not be helped by the current national problems with staff illness for all companies. Openreach connections may also be affected too so you should investigate lead times there if you are thinking of any other kind of installation.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

59 REPLIES 59

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Your contract is with TalkTalk and it's their responsibility to get damage fixed. They will get Openreach to do it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I agree that is what it should be. 

I was on the phone for a very long time to TalkTalk and they listened to the whole episode. TalkTalk is clear - if the damage has been done by Virgin to the outside of the property, then it’s is Virgin responsibility to fix it. 

It has been a nightmare dealing with Virgin, as they are not even interested in listening to the problem or doing anything to expedite their own installation

Virgin: Can you please expedite my installation? I have now been without broadband/ phone line since 06 Dec - and all because I decided (perhaps a mistake) to join Virgin Broadband. 

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ›››››››››

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should probably not hold out too much hope that the future installation dates from VM are reliable. This forum is full of topics about long-delayed VM installations.

Agree with @Roger_Gooner, it is TalkTalk's responsibility to ensure your connection is working, via Openreach. If VM has damaged Openreach equipment, then it is for VM and Openreach to sort that out between themselves via whatever processes they have in place when sharing cable ducts to customers' properties.

From your POV, you simply have a non-working TalkTalk service which TalkTalk need to remedy.

gspannu
On our wavelength

@goslow What is a reasonable time to expect from Virgin to actually complete an installation? 

I ask as my existing contract with TalkTalk is about to expire, and if Virgin is going to keep pushing the instal;Latino date, I might as well find a new 24 month VDSL fibre (Openreach) deal, rather than suffer Virgin’s pathetic customer service.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ›››››››››

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@gspannu wrote:

There is no reliable answer to this question, unfortunately. If you look at some other people in the same situation as yourself, some of their topics have gone on for months. Such as this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

When the VM installation process goes wrong in this way, no one in VM seems to get a grip of the individual job and take the necessary actions to push it through to a conclusion.

Have you actually cancelled your TalkTalk service or is some sort of discounted introductory price about to expire? What happens if you get the existing TalkTalk service repaired and see if the VM installation progresses any further? You would have to find out the exact T&Cs from TalkTalk but often, once you are out of contract, it becomes a rolling 30 day contract. You would have to check this out yourself with TalkTalk though to be sure.

From your pic's, it looks as if VM have somehow rammed through a draw rope into the duct and smashed your BT box in the process. If that is right, they would use the draw rope to pull in the VM service.

If they have also damaged anything underground, then you may have difficulty getting a BT service up and running anyway so IMO you should first try to get the TalkTalk service repaired.

The rubbish installation service from VM will not be helped by the current national problems with staff illness for all companies. Openreach connections may also be affected too so you should investigate lead times there if you are thinking of any other kind of installation.

@gspannu wrote:

I believe that there is a poster on here who has been waiting for almost a year (in fact it may well have had its first birthday now) for a VM installation to be completed! If there is any, any sort of issues and the installation isn’t straightforward then the whole thing seems to descend into the sort of farce not too dissimilar to a Laurel and Hardy film.

Absolutely DO NOT allow your existing broadband contact to end before VM have got you connected up and working - unless, of course, you happen to like tethering to your phone or trying to organise some kind of 5G temporary connectivity. If you have to, then see if you can’t have a rolling monthly contract with whoever you are currently with.

I do have to say though, that if you can get a fibre connection via Openreach, then just go for it now.

gspannu
On our wavelength

My discount price contract with TalkTalk is ending, so I will be on their rolling 30 day contract now.

You are correct, they have put in a draw rope and now need to put in the actual cable. But i am not getting any dates for when this will be done.

I don’t think they have damaged anything underground, because they damaged the BT box after finishing the work on the draw rope !!!

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ›››››››››

gspannu
On our wavelength

@jem101 You are correct. I will not be cancelling my TalkTalk until I get Virgin installed & working… I have no 4G/5G reception, 3G barely works. The issue is that even TalkTalk is not working at the moment due to the smashed box - and TalkTalk is unwilling to help either.

No internet or phone line since 06 Dec !!!

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ›››››››››

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello gspannu

Sorry to hear this has happened 

I can take a look at when the services are due to be installed with us 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L