cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin asking for wayleave form from neighbours for install on my land

shaffy0227
Joining in

Hi,

We have moved home to a house which has saleable access to Virgin services (the Virgin termination box is at the edge of my drive). 
Virgin have asked our 2 neighbours for permission to go ahead with the installation and sent them both a wayleave form. Our neighbours are (understandably) concerned and one neighbour is refusing to sign. The form uses standard wayleave language that the services will be installed on their property, but we have already been told the cable route will be underneath our drive and won't be going into the neighbour's properties. 
My thought here is that since the front of my drive is the only exit to the main road for our two neighbours, Virgin have assumed that the area they need to dig is a shared drive and not owned by us. 
I have spoken to our solicitor on this and they have briefly told me that we should be fine to install telecoms services on our land without permission. Is this correct or does Virgin need some additional permission here due to their policies?

We have sent the Wayleave team a copy of our title plan in the hope this clears up any confusion so we can go ahead with the installation, what are my chances of this going ahead? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The wayleave staff might assume that the neighbours are involved because they have rights to use your driveway under which the cable is being laid and they could conceivably be obstructed. 

I'm not a lawyer but you might want to check if that's their thinking.

You should also agree with the installation staff exactly how they are going to bury the cable in your driveway and make it good afterwards. There have been some very unsatisfactory installations. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

"which has saleable access" - what does that mean ?

Sorry, I should clarify. I mean that it has access to Virgin's services via a termination box at the front edge of the driveway adjacent to the street pavement.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The wayleave staff might assume that the neighbours are involved because they have rights to use your driveway under which the cable is being laid and they could conceivably be obstructed. 

I'm not a lawyer but you might want to check if that's their thinking.

You should also agree with the installation staff exactly how they are going to bury the cable in your driveway and make it good afterwards. There have been some very unsatisfactory installations. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

GarethB
On our wavelength

IMG_6620.jpeg

 personally I wouldn’t let them anywhere near my property. We purchased a house earlier this year and had been suffering with severe damp issues. After spending a great deal of time and money we discovered that VM contractors had dug through a drainage pipe and left it broken.. our solicitor has assured us that there is no wayleave or easement for the 8 ducts to be on our property. We are still awaiting VM’s response.