cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Unavailable

Flymi
Tuning in

Hey,

Was just after some clarification if possible, the rep i spoke to on the phone didn't seem to know.

My broadband contract is ending shortly so was looking at Virgin as they seem to be the only FTTP provider in Leicester right now. Being in a flat I didn't get my hopes up, as we never get anything easy 😂

As the title suggests when I used the postcode checker it told me Virgin wasn't available in my flat. As expected, but I decided out of the interest to check the other flats in my building, as I knew virgin was in the street at least. Surprisingly the flat directly opposite is showing as available.

So I rang to find out why, and was told that a connection had been rejected due to 9x? But couldn't tell me anymore.

Does anyone know what this means and if there's any way to solve it? And why it seems certain flats in the building can sign up for Virgin while others can't?

I really want FTTP, I'm fed up off 60mbs 😂.

Thanks for any help.

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Flymi wrote:

Actually, I think you may aswel all ignore this post. Having read through this forum since posting, not sure I can be bothered with all the issues that seem to appear with new installations and contractors. Think I'd rather wait until openreach or someone get here and do it properly if they can 😂😂.

• Although, I would still be interested in who 9x is and what he has against my flat.

See this earlier topic below for some of the (many and varied) reasons why VM may not install in flats or to particular flats in a building

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Fibre-broadband-only-available-for-ground...

One of the VM forum team should reply here eventually and may take your details and try to provide more info (though you are right to be wary of the possibility of lots of effort on your part for little/no reward at the end of your enquiries)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Flymi
Tuning in

Actually, I think you may aswel all ignore this post. Having read through this forum since posting, not sure I can be bothered with all the issues that seem to appear with new installations and contractors. Think I'd rather wait until openreach or someone get here and do it properly if they can 😂😂.

• Although, I would still be interested in who 9x is and what he has against my flat.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Flymi wrote:

See this earlier topic below for some of the (many and varied) reasons why VM may not install in flats or to particular flats in a building

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Fibre-broadband-only-available-for-ground...

One of the VM forum team should reply here eventually and may take your details and try to provide more info (though you are right to be wary of the possibility of lots of effort on your part for little/no reward at the end of your enquiries)

Thanks. I have had a private message from someone so will see where it leads.

But I've noticed Cityfibre look they have some plans to come to Leicester some point soon, so I may wait for them to see what happens.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to point out the network in Leicester is legacy Hybrid Fibre Coaxial, so is not FTTP. The fibre ony goes as far as the local node with the remaining 500m to 1km on coaxial.

Blocks of flats must also have the correct grade internal coaxial wiring installed for VM to service them.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The wiring could be prehistoric and still be better than the 60mbs openreach can provide. And they don't seem to be in any rush to actually do anything.

Thanks. Having spoken to the guy who PM'd me it does look promising. Many flats in my building already have live connections so you would assume the wiring is ok. And my flat (1st floor) literally overlooks one of their manholes on the street below, so hopefully can just run a cable up.

We shall see. I won't cancel my current contract just yet 😂

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are in a block of flats these will be internally wired to a distribution panel on each floor. There will be existing cables into the flats with either dedicated sockets or multi-media outlets that can be switched between Sky/Freesat & Virgin feeds using the existing cabling.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Not sure how it's wired up, but I don't think there is a communal box for Virgin. There is for sky TV but the signal is shocking as I found out when I moved in 😂.

The building isnt high-rise flats. Its basically just 2 floors above a shop (which is also owned by the same company), with half the flats facing one street and the other half the other. I'm on the first floor.

So in the DMs with Jon he seems to believe, as my window is literally above a virgin point in the street, a box can be fitted on the wall and a cable can just be run straight up the wall under the window. Which also happens to be where my router and phone are connected now anyway.

I assume this is how the other live connections are set up currently, so must be ok on the wayleave front.

Either way, I'll give it a go without cancelling my current broadband. If it works great, if not I guess I'll just have to take it and recontract at 63mbs 😂.

Flymi
Tuning in

Just an update, incase anyone comes accross the same situation. With the help of VM-Jon (who has been very helpful) the brown box is now on my outside wall, just waiting installation. Maybe I got lucky that my front window overlooks a Virgin duct and the building already had wayleave in place, bu it is possible if your close enough  i guess.

I'm sure theres still time for issues posted by others on the forum to arise, but so far, so good!