cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media wont service my house but my entire village has service

DaddyBoard
On our wavelength

Hi all,

TL;DR (too long, didn't read) at the bottom. Apologies for the long one.

I have been in a 5 year battle with trying to get better internet at my location...

So details first: The run from my house to the nearest virgin fibre point (the square things in the pavements) is roughly 160m. Yes I am aware that's a relatively long run. I live inside a recreational park so I am a little far from the main road.

However, this run consists of 60-80% grass and the rest is loose gravel - no concrete involved, no road closures involved. Virgin reps have told me that even just under half of the run will exceed their budget and I will basically never be eligible for their services. But my entire village of over 100 houses have virgin 500mbps Oomph packages, while I'm still stuck on a 12mbps copper cable.

I have asked about options like providing a pre-installed ducting pipe which means all virgin will have to do is pull a cable through and they can start charging me £50/£60 a month for. Or even I cover the rest of the costs from where their budget exceeds, but for some strange and stupid reason, I was told Virgin will either do the job themselves, or not at all, they will not allow customers to pay for the construction works etc.

Recently, I finally got some glimpse of hope by managing to talk to my "local area manager" who is basically in charge of deciding which houses get the go ahead with new services being installed - but he is basically saying the same thing of "it's exceeding our budget". It's literally grass and loose gravel. What's worse is they're judging this using google maps - I have asked countless times for someone to come and do a site survey, but it's either a no-show, or I get a text from someone who has merely attempted to look remotely using satellite images.

But it gets worse. The existing OpenReach ducting I have here, Virgin wont touch, nor will OpenReach/BT upgrade my copper line to fibre because my area is too heavily dominated by virgin, so they don't deem it cost-effective to service my area. So I am basically being held hostage by Virgin, who wont offer me a service.

I don't know how big their budget is per-property, but there is no way digging a small trench to lay some ducting can cost a fortune when there is no roadworks involved, no concrete work involved etc. It's all grass and loose gravel. 

What can I do to push for Virgin to install at my property? I will be on the most expensive package immediately so it will be cost-effective for them. And any future people living in this house will be using Virgin as that *would* be the only provider to provide more than 10mbps, so they're solidifying years of money coming back into the business.

TL;DR: Virgin will not service my area at all, have been trying for over 5 years. No one bothers to actually come out and do a site survey, and instead just remotely decides "nope, not happening". BT/OpenReach wont upgrade my area as Virgin dominates my village, so I'm being, what feels like, held hostage by Virgin who won't even offer me their services. 

94 REPLIES 94

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

160m could be too long even with the thickest RG11 cable, there possibly wont be enough signal left at the end of the drop

Anonymous
Not applicable
story of my life 🙂 i installed a 200mbps wifi link 200m to a location that could get services. i have a account at that address that then beams to my house.

VM don't install here 8 houses at the end of a 300m road 1 line road so they can;t close.

BT will not install fibre here as I'm connected to the exchange not a cabinet

DaddyBoard
On our wavelength

@jb66 wrote:

160m could be too long even with the thickest RG11 cable, there possibly wont be enough signal left at the end of the drop

... I am currently on copper, if that can still have a signal after 160m, fibre definitely will..

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

What may be the problem is that the area you are in is not a fibre to the premises but is actually copper RG11 i.e. a Hybrid connection where the fibre is too the local cabinet and then a copper RG11 to the premises, which is why it will struggle and outside of the cost for VM.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @DaddyBoard 

I will pop you a private message to discuss in further details as i'll need to take some info. 

We have ran RG11 around 180 metres before and still managed to get good signal. However it completed depends on what way leave may be required and construction costs are involved. 

Keep an eye on the purple envelope for my message.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

What may be the problem is that the area you are in is not a fibre to the premises but is actually copper RG11 i.e. a Hybrid connection where the fibre is too the local cabinet and then a copper RG11 to the premises, which is why it will struggle and outside of the cost for VM.

Regards Mike

@DJ_Shadow1966, it is not copper RG11. I have already checked and been told its fully fibre to the houses in my area, hence them all having 500mbps packages available.

Anonymous
Not applicable
coax rg11 works with the giga package. so having 500 doesn't need fibre.

Also if its FTTP the cost to install has just gone up even more

Quick update / More info.

My area has full FTTP network laid. It is not a typical hybrid connection with cabinets and copper etc. It is fully fledged Fibre, and due to Virgin's advanced network in my village, no one else will service it / upgrade their infrastructure. So I am being held back by virgin, who wont splash out a couple of grand at max to connect a house which will last forever - as no other ISP service my house. (apart from 12mbps ADSL).

Why is it so hard for Virgin to come and put a line in when it's all grass and loose gravel. Absolutely ridiculous. They only care about prioritising areas that already have super fast fibre and don't want my custom, which is stupid.

@Anonymous wrote:
coax rg11 works with the giga package. so having 500 doesn't need fibre.

Also if its FTTP the cost to install has just gone up even more

Well, my terrible copper line on my ADSL has decent speeds *FOR ADSL SPEEDS*. 

Virgin rep DM'd me and said they have installed 200m+ RG11 coax absolutely fine with no speed drop offs. 

Even if they did fibre or coax rg11, it'll be fine for speeds. They're just blatantly refusing.