cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media terrible customer service

userplym
Tuning in

I completed the virgin online complain form on or about the 4th of May, as of August 15th I still have no response… so I will post my complaint publicly. Original complaint in full below.

I am writing to complain based on my recent experience of trying to upgrade my broadband speed.

On Monday 25th of April I placed an order to upgrade my speed via your website, I did this by logging into my account and clicking upgrade my speed, I selected the Gig1 Option which was £60.80 on a 30 day rolling contract. I received an order confirmation (Can provide to staff) with an estimated activation date of Thursday the 28th of April.

On Friday the 29th of April as I had not received the speed upgrade or further communication, I called your customer service to enquire as to when it would be activated. The first agent could not find the order but proceeded to ask me to restart my router and perform multiple speed tests. This did not work, and I was transferred to another department. Over the course of the call, I was passed from multiple teams and agents, I believe 4-5.

I was told multiple things from the various agents such as:

• That the package I have requested did not exist so I could not have ordered it.
  • I ordered as a new customer not an existing customer (even though I explained the exact process)
  • I was told that there is no management at virgin media and cannot be transferred to a higher level of customer support such as a L2/L3.
  • I was told no managers are available
  • I was told the only possible way was for them to sign up me on the phone for an 18 month contract at £62.00
  • One agent asked me to place the order again which I did along with an order for M500.
  • The final agent told me that 10am in the morning is not a good time to call and the team that needs to deal with this would be in around lunch time and to call back then.
  • I was bumped back to the main telephone menu on at least one occasion but an agent.

This call lasted for about 1 hour.

I called back later that afternoon & was told much of the same I offered to provide screenshots and/or video of my account ordering process. They said it was impossible for me to provide these and I had to hang up and use the web chat instead to send the images.

Later that day I joined a web chat & sent the images of the ordering process, order confirmations and any other information they needed. Again, I was told that this order is impossible, and Virgin do not offer this at all. I asked to be told how to complain in writing, I was transferred to the complaints department who I had to ask multiple times before they eventually told me where to find the information on your website instead of telling them at that moment in time which I explained I did not want to do.  I ended the discussion at this point as I had spoken to 7+ people of the course of two phone calls and 1 web chat.

On Sunday 1st of May I received email notifications that my service was active and an updated contract with the correct pricing and the 30 day terms.

This was a massive waste of my time, approximately 3.5 hours on the phone, web chat, or trying to figure out things on your website. It seems crazy to me that you have a clear online workflow to make it easy to upgrade your speed, but none of this has been communicated to your customer support teams, I was effectively called a liar multiple times, I was told its impossible. This is certainly one of the worst customer support experiences I have received. It is also a massive waste of resource for your business, with some better communication it could have been a 5-minute phone call to say it should be active in a couple of days, I would have been happy and moved on.

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

As you formally complained at the beginning of May, you're now well over the 8 weeks that VM are permitted to resolve complaints before escalating the matter to CISAS.  Give them a go.  You will probably need to be a bit more concise, from memory the web form limits the input to 1,800 characters or so, which is about half the size of your post here.  Ask for appropriate compensation for both the original problem and separately for the ineffectual complaint handling, plus deal you may be disputing to be backdated. It's a bit bureaucratic, but if you're getting nowhere with VM's dismal and broken complaints process, and appalling customer service, then this is your next step.  Your complaint gets assessed by a qualified dispute resolution professional, and they make an impartial adjudication that is binding on VM if you accept it.  It isn't biding on you to accept the CISAS offer, but it's usually the best offer you'll get, and the alternative is a small claim through the courts, which is even slower and more complex. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@userplym wrote:

I completed the virgin online complain form on or about the 4th of May, as of August 15th I still have no response… so I will post my complaint publicly. Original complaint in full below.

I am writing to complain based on my recent experience of trying to upgrade my broadband speed.

On Monday 25th of April I placed an order to upgrade my speed via your website, I did this by logging into my account and clicking upgrade my speed, I selected the Gig1 Option which was £60.80 on a 30 day rolling contract. I received an order confirmation (Can provide to staff) with an estimated activation date of Thursday the 28th of April.

Hi @userplym 

I'm wondering if the part I've highlighted in bold is what caused the original problems.

The 30 day rolling broadband contracts are only offered on the M50, M100, M200 and M350 speeds. 

It's not the first time, and won't be the last that the website/your account section has been wrong, but at least it appears to be that after a lot of hard work by your good self that VM eventually seemed to have agreed to provide you with  a 30 day rolling Gig1 contract.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for that, may well go that way. 

Hey, 

The main point is that the website was not incorrect, the order was processed as advertised on a 30 day contract after being told on the phone many times that it was impossible and not something they offer. Left hand doesn't talk to the right. 

Thanks for coming back to me @userplym, I'd be happy to look into this for you.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there userplym,

David is curretnly out of office so I've assigned this to myself to deal with.

I've dropped you a PM to discuss this. 

Many thanks,

Kain