forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
colleyt
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Removed cable from my property without authorization and then refused install

I have spent roughly 7 hours on the phone to virgin media to try and resolve this issue. Unfortunately most customer support staff refuse to help with the issue. 

When i bought my new property i noticed that the cable coming out of the ground into the virgin media box on the side of the building had been cut. I let virgin media know as soon as i found out. I told them my move in date was the 6th of February and would like the issue resolved before i moved in. 

I was told that on the 4th of February Virgin media would do a pre installation appointment. I went round on the 5th of February to find that the cable coming out of the ground had been removed. I thought this was strange. 

Later on the 5th of February i was told that the internet line would need further investigation and i would be left without internet on the install date. 

On the 8th of February i left my new property to find a virgin media installation technician outside measuring the distance from my house to the box a the top of the road. He told me a new cable would need to be put in as there wasn't one. I explained to him that there was a cable but it had been removed for some reason. He told me that virgin technicians were not allowed to do that. I said i would report it. He suggested that the technician who did it would not admit that they did as they are not allowed to do something like that.

I have photographic proof of this cable existing as i luckily took a picture of the issue to send to a friend. 

I was then told by Virgin media that the civil service declined allowing virgin media to install the line. This was 2 hours after they had visited the site. I find it very strange that virgin media can apply to a civil service to install an internet line and be declined in 2 hours. 

I currently do not believe all of the information that has been given me. I would like to see proof of this application to the civil service. I would also like to know why virgin media thinks it's ok to remove cable and access my property without my permission. 

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Removed cable from my property without authorization and then refused install

Hi there,

Please private message me your details and i will take a look a the situation for you.
What has likely happened is the old one was removed to install a new one but that couldn't happen for one reason or another.
Let me see whats what for you.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
colleyt
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Removed cable from my property without authorization and then refused install

Hello i have sent you my contact details

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I can see that the installation has been cancelled as there is no way to get a new cable to your property. Due to the nature of the network in your area we would need to complete significant civils work which is just not possible. I apprieciate this is dissapointing and can only apologise for that but unfortuantely we cannot provide service at this time.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
colleyt
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

There was already an internet line installed to the house. 

Virgin media accessed my property without my permission and removed it. I believe this situation could have been resolved. 

Virgin media need to fix broken internet lines. It is very unfair for them to leave customers without a connection. 

Virgin media is refusing to give specifics as to why they would not install the internet. I am looking into taking civil action against them due to this. 

I expected better!

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

we cannot complete this due to the civils work required. It requires around 75m of excavation in the footway and highway which the local authority may not have approved but also the cost would be prohibitive too.

If the cable that was there could have been used then it would have been for sure, most likely it was cut or damaged elsewhere too that prevented that.

This area is what we call  a SID network where every property has there own individual duct that runs to a distribution point in the street. This means that sometimes to repair or add new customers a new duct needs to be laid completely which can be a huge problem and cost. In this case it would also include work in the highway and therefore closing roads or adding traffic control measures.

I am sorry I can’t give you better news but if we could have used the cable there I promise you we would have. 

Jon

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i am jumping in more out of trying to learn than anything else - if each house has its own duct then i assume properties on either side have a duct - if so could one of those be used - it may be even if they have a duct they could also need the same work so the question is mute

Tony
0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes Tony in theory, this does happen from time to time. The problem being that if ducts close by are in use then they are no use. 

0 Kudos
colleyt
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have asked Jon multiple times for evidence that the cable there was of no use. I have also asked how the cable was removed and to what point? My drive has not been dug up fully only around the start. So it could be possible the cable was broken with my property. But unfortunately Virgin media are being extremely vague about the works they carried out. 

When i spoke to a customer rep they told me that the civil service had denied permission. They said this 2 hours after the virgin media technician had been. In my experience planning takes a little longer than that. 

I see that it is possible my next door neighbours duct has not been used. Care to comment on that jon?

0 Kudos
colleyt
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Also why can't my cable be run through the same existing duct seeing as you've removed it? or have you?

0 Kudos