Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Face plate with inline isolator

apan
Joining in

Hi All, 

Thanks for reading the post. 

I have VM installed couple of years back, when technician came home, instead of connecting  the euromodule faceplate to connect the coax, he just  shoved the cable under the existing black faceplate with inline isolator(see attached, sorry about copyright, i have found it on internet). This is not a neat installation, however, at that time I didn't know about the euromodule faceplate. 

Now, I am going through tidying up the cables behind the TV(in living room) and this VM cable is bugging me. 

I found out that builder had run the VM coax cable to the rest of the house(I meant in each bedroom), as we are working from home, I have my desk setup in one of the bedroom, I was thinking to move the existing router connection(bodged installation in living room) to upstairs in study room.

Could somebody help me where can I source the original VM euromodule face plate and also F type crimps please? 

Thanks 

PS: Phoned VM to move the connection upstairs or atleast fix the existing bodge, for either they want me to pay £99 call out charge which is insane, provided it is just connecting f-type crimps and new faceplate. I do appreciate that technician will be driving to my property and carrying out the work but come on be reasonable. Even tyre fitting people come home for £40 callout (which includes their insurance rtoo Virgin1.png

10 REPLIES 10

Richw1982
Rising star

£99 is pretty fair to be honest.  Get an electrician/plumber would be more for an hour and a garage on average charges £120 an hour.   

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Thanks, I understand your argument. We can go into debate of charges, I don't want to diverge from the question though.

Could somebody suggest way to procure VM euromodule faceplate and Ftypre crimps please? 

Cheers

Z92
Trouble shooter

Yes, the VM engineer will provide them, it will cost £99 as already stated.

You are not allowed to mess with the Virgin equipment yourself, it's against the T&Cs, so even if you acquired them yourself you still need to pay an engineer to install them.

Thanks. 

Beauty of fine prints( T&C), I will see if anyone after organ so I sell mind so I can have £99 for technician callout. 

it is not rocket science to mess with it, it simple coax cable. 

Its not simple coax, this is why its in the terms and conditions.  Its 75ohm shielded,  if the cable length is changed and splitters removed/added the levels may have to be adjusted  back into spec..  If anything's left loose, wrong cable or f connectors this could create Noise or FEC errors back on the upstream, this would affect other customers and VM would have to locate the source.  This takes time and money and compensation for other users loss/degraded service

Oh okay, I never knew about 75ohms coax, noise, FEC before. I am software engineer and I know about all this in much detail.

it is my right and will to carry out the work in my property if needed. If virgin media wants to terminate my service for doing so I am more than happy for them to do so. 

by the way £99 is almost four months bill. I am not that loaded so will get the standard  F type crimps from DIY store and do it. In regards to Euro plate will work something out. Don’t want corporates capitalistic BS. 

thanks for your help and responses. Really appreciated.

Maybe you should look up about RF Theory, Docsis 3 and 3.1, SNR and Forward error correction.  Use proper insulated digital cable (not the rubbish shotgun stuff)  and Crimp type F connectors not the sky screw on type.  When you check the levels at the CPE end you are looking for 10 - -6db Downstream and SNR above 34.  Return Path should be 33-51.  Ideally forward 0-3 and Return 43-45. 

It isn't your right when you sign a contract and its a network owned and operated by VM

I will brush up on my RF theory. I don't like DOCSIS. However, will look into it again. 

By the way VM doesn't their own cable in NASA or European Space Centre labs. It is provided by https://www.amphenolbroadband.com/ . They are the one who provides the F Type crimps too. 
Thanks for providing the SNR levels

VM has right to terminate service they don't have right to get into my property. 

They do have the right to send you quite a hefty bill if an area goes down as a result of tampering.  £99 isnt much money reall to have a proper job done and know its to standard.  But do as you please