cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Installation: Confused

chaseyy
Tuning in

Hi there,

I recently moved home, and since Virgin Media was the only provider that could offer me speeds above 50mb, I decided to go with them. When I first signed up, they said that I could go with the quickstart option as the previous owners had Virgin Media, which was great. However, I looked all over my house and couldn’t find a wall socket, so I decided to call an engineer to come help me.

When he came, he said that the cable that ran into my home had been cut:

image.jpg

As the end of the cable was very small, he said that there wasn’t much that he could do, as I live on the ground floor in a block of flats, we have no idea where that cable leads to inside the building and that I should call customer service.

When I called customer service, they said that I had to book a field technician to do a cable repull. But I don’t know whether I need the council’s permission so that the technician can do that. I also have no idea where the cable comes from (I can’t find the external box for the building, and I don’t know if Virgin can just break down the wall and find where the cable comes from)  Also, they booked the appointment for the 8th March, I can’t possibly wait that long, and if they need the council’s permission, that adds another 6 weeks as well.

I am really confused on what I should do, and I would go with another provider at this point but Virgin is the only provider in my area which offers fast speeds. I am honestly mindboggled on what to do. 

9 REPLIES 9

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like according to the picture the flat is internally wired and the council has Vandalised your feed.

You may need to hire a tradesman at your cost to cut part of the wall so that the wire can be reused. VM technicians can't do things like that. 

the wire can be reused? even if it’s cut? Would I need the council’s permission to cut down part of the wall?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's on the other side of that wall? obivously if it's outside or in a corridor a connection could be made there and a new cable pulled through

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pretty sure it’s one of the building’s garages.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it is a council block that is wired then VM have blanket permission to maintain their internal wiring, just as they have in the street outside. The only issue you would have with permissions is with a private landlord.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chaseyy wrote:

pretty sure it’s one of the building’s garages.

Then if you can gain access it's an easy fix 

I don’t have access to that garage, could they still fix it via some other way?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chaseyy wrote:

I don’t have access to that garage, could they still fix it via some other way?

Not really, I would speak to the council as Nogrogd said Virgin have permission to install so they need access to this area

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening @chaseyy

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused, Its difficult to determine if planning permission would be needed, In this instance I wouldn't of thought it was needed however I am no engineer. 

When speaking with the technical support team, have they been able to advise if we have requested the permits? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M