cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin DNS blocks one of my sites

_Max_Power
Tuning in

I have some domains and website working. There are legal and I check them regularly. From yesterday I discovered that one of them is blocked under Cisco Umbrella, that it's a protection for OpenDNS, by my ISP (VirginMedia).

When I open the webpage https://foroarte.es I'm directed to and error screen and I can't unblock it because the block is made by Virgin. If I change my computer DNS to Google or CloudFlare DNS servers I can open the website, but it's impossible with the Virgin DNS that my Hub gives to every device. As any can check, there is a closed website, no phishing, no forms, no information collected. It's an static screen, but Virgin blocks it.

Are there any way to disable the block? I tried to contact the technical team but it's impossible to pass the filter of the customer service, that don't understand the issue, what is a DNS server or what is OpenDNS and Cisco Umbrella services.

Any help is welcomed.

16 REPLIES 16

I received a confirmation of VM some minutes ago and they unblock the website. Thank you everybody for your help.

This thread was marked as resolved but I'm not so sure it is for VM customers ...

Client62_0-1675536026249.png

For me using VM DNS servers is working fine and the security certificate doesn't have problems. Do you continue receiving the same screen?

Using Chrome on my mobile via WiFi I see the website.

But using Edge or Firefox ...

Client62_0-1675612069620.png

Client62_1-1675612085753.png

Thank you.
I'll try to detect where is the issue because it isn't a phishing place, I don't take any information of anybody.

@_Max_Power wrote:

Thank you.
I'll try to detect where is the issue because it isn't a phishing place, I don't take any information of anybody.

There is some DNS confusion going on with your site. My connection (via BT) returns 188.164.198.## from nslookup and the page returns correctly via the url https://foroarte.es  This appears to be a holding page (no login box).

The IP address from Roger_Gooner 91.142.212.## from VM DNS returns a not-secure warning "This server could not prove that it is 91.142.212.240; its security certificate is from foroarte2020.pruebas-evaluacion.es. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection." This page shows a login box.

Other lookup sites have OpenDNS returning 146.112.61.### for foroarte.es

Alongside the DNS issues the website www.blocked.org.uk shows foroarte.es is blocked/filtered by

Vodafone (blocked for 18+ content)
Virginmedia (blocked malware)
OpenDNS Family Shield (returns a DNS error for an untrusted certificate, then Cisco Umbrella blocked for phishing)
CloudFlare Family DNS (blocks with 'This site can't be reached')

So you seem to have two ongoing issues, one with DNS and the other with reputational reporting for various security/AV providers which is causing content filtering to be applied in some instances.

The right ip is 188.164.198.xx. the other IPs are a mistake. And yes, it's an static page without login, forms or links. It's only a warning that at this moment it's closed until this year version.

The some IP have some websites, it's a VPS with some domains and subdomains. I'll delete all the certificates in Plesk and generate it again, they use let's encrypt certificates.

Thank you for the information.