cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Customer Service Is Not Effective

jamesmansell
Tuning in

I am at the end of my tether, and am about to quit my contract before it has started given how bad my customer service experience has been. Before I do I wanted to give Virgin one last chance / the community to help out. How difficult is it to install internet to a home when I can just order a mobile 5G router for the next day. How do I get virgin to stick to its promises and install the internet?

I initiated discussions a month ago and its looking like I won't have internet for at least 3 more weeks, how is waiting 2 months for internet in this day and age whilst having to be on the phone to Virgin for 15 hours plus any action a business can take?

In summary:

1. Virgin have rescheduled my install twice, with no warning (did not turn up), or with less than 24 hour notice.
  2. Reasons for rescheduling the installs either were false, or I was lied to during the sales process
  3. I had two different sales people sign me up to two different accounts, and two direct debits. Sorting this out yet again involved hours on the phone
  4. My number was given to another account not in my name (GDPR breach), which means whenever I call up they think I am someone else
  5. Virgin '100% committed' to the installs at the dates specified, yet did not follow through
  6. Even though I won't be in the country for the proposed install date (and will be out for 6 weeks), still they didn't listen.

Given Virgin has lied, breached regulation, and taking 2 months to install internet I am nearly done with the company, but I wanted to give you one last chance to reply and sort this by getting an install in the next week. How can a internet company not install internet? That is literally your only job!

21 REPLIES 21

Hey James.

From a legal standpoint, a delay that's not caused by VM, which based on your case seems not to be (at least in reasoning: council authorisations, constructions delays) will not give you a lot of a case. Moreso the compensation for you paying someone to be at home after other dates being given to you - will again not be a strong case for compensation - and invoicing VM doesn't work like that.

VM promised to install the services, which I assume are fixed (broadband, landline...) at the address you've contracted the services. CEDR (CISAS) will be reasonable in their approaches and maybe rule in your favour, but that's not a guarantee. 

They provide telecom solutions, not redesigning streets, bureaucracy and local council policies. It's not the answer you want to hear, I understand that - the customer services sucks, they employ people based on being alive, not having any skills I assume, cheapening it ou by off-shoringing and putting some unrealistic targets on sales (assuming that's the trigger for your two most pushy salesmen) - but none of this means they can break the law (council authorisation needed) or employ a construction company to finish the street work in order to install the internet to you. 

What you have a case on are: delays in a promised installation date, two account instead of one, two direct debits. I think you pushed for more credit, but as a new client, you most surely pay under the market price, as this is the strategy employed by most fixed telecom services in the UK. So, in a way, your inconvenience dropped your cost with a few more percentages and (allegedly) you operate at a price under the market. 

Good luck and keep us posted, I would love to read how is your case evolving. If you need help escalating to CISAS drop me a line. I might be able to give you some tips to increase your successful outcome if it goes there. 

However, that comment from @unhappycustomer that it cost the company £500 per case (which I think is true, there is a fee and it's there somewhere) and all cases should go there... - please rest assured that VM will not be held at ransom by paying a case handling fee to a regulator they chose to subscribe to. They will not compensate £450 for each case threatening to escalate complaints to the regulator. No company will and shouldn't be, nor should the clients stop referring cases to regulators, if they decide to take them (CISAS, FOS, all of them have the capacity to reject cases or appeal to the company to provide a response/deadlock before adjudicating). 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

Hi jamesmansell, 

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread with the latest information. 

I understand it's frustrating when install dates are delayed however you should be aware that when given an installation date, they are not set in stone. They are provisional dates that could change due to the nature on how we connect customers. 

I'm happy to take a look in to things for the latest update for you and I can also get a complaint raised on the account too. 

In order to do this I will need to pass data protection with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs