cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vigins my only hope - Cable installation

Lunnbow
Joining in

Good morning everyone.

We have just bought a new build property that makes it a new house on an already established street. Virgin Media is installed in the street. However, it looks like when they installed the fibre cables, they did not do it properly, as they are not in ducts. They are laid direct in the road.

This means that Virgin is currently saying they cannot provide any service for my house as they'd have to dig up the road to install a new cable.

The problem is Virgin is my only hope of having any cable connection to the outside world. We live just outside London in Farnham Common, so not exactly the middle of nowhere. The road does not have BT in it either, apparently. We did not know any of this when we were buying the property, as the system says Virgin is available.

I don't know if anyone can put me in touch with someone who may be able to help unblock this. The people on the phones have been no help as they just have that the system says no. Is there anything else we can try, as it is down to the fact that the cables were installed badly the first time?

Cheers for any help or pointers.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

No it would have no impact at all on his service. It has been done elsewhere.

The problem is getting that suggestion to the installation staff. Hopefully forum staff can pass it on, but you'd need to speak nicely to your neighbour. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

If the area is an FTTP deployment using direct buried microducts then to add you to the network would require digging all the way back to the cabinet. Very unlikely to happen. Is this a new house on a plot where there was nothing before, or is it replacing an existing house?

Did the developer of the house not bother to speak with Virgin Media or Openreach to ensure the property they were building would be fit for purpose in the 21st century?

There was a house here originally, which has been replaced with two properties. My neighbour in the other property has the line that served the original house. The developer says he spoke to virgin, and that they told him it is down to the owner to request a connection. It took Virgin engineers about 5 months to work out they would have to dig up the road again as the information on their system was not clear.

Not great news if there is no other recourse. 

Cheers

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You said BT is not available there. Does that mean your neighbour is on Virgin?

If so it would be possible to connect you from the neighbour's feed at their wall box, with their agreement. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks,

No BT is not an option. My neighbour is on Virgin, yes. Would that have an impact on their connection at all? How would I go about asking Virgin for that setup?

Cheers

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

No it would have no impact at all on his service. It has been done elsewhere.

The problem is getting that suggestion to the installation staff. Hopefully forum staff can pass it on, but you'd need to speak nicely to your neighbour. 

- jpeg1

Great, thankfully on really good terms with the neighbour, and they've only just bought their place as well!

Okay, now to try to get the order and installation team onside with the idea.