cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM to use my omnibox for neighbour, private landlord

Ahmed101
Tuning in

Hi,

I was with VM a while ago. An engineer recently visited a neighbour and asked if he could test the  neighbours line using box on my property. He then left the neighbours cables attached to my box.

Have VM have the right to do this without my permission? 

I'm an ex customer so surely any right for VM to access the box ends with my contract?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

No, they have no rights to use cables laid across land you own without your permission (which could be informal, or a formal wayleave attached to the property, but you'd know in either case).  The box, and VM cables on your property remain owned by VM, that doesn't mean they can be used as a service connection.  VM don't in fact have any right to leave old installations across your property, but most people will choose to leave these in place in case they wish to reconnect to VM in future, because removal of cable can sometimes mean a property is deemed "unserviceable" in future, and even if that isn't the case, it'll still take much longer to physically reconnect a property than to reactivate an existing cable.

If you wait (sometimes a day or two) forum staff can take details and look into the matter with a view to getting things tidied up and put right.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

No, they have no rights to use cables laid across land you own without your permission (which could be informal, or a formal wayleave attached to the property, but you'd know in either case).  The box, and VM cables on your property remain owned by VM, that doesn't mean they can be used as a service connection.  VM don't in fact have any right to leave old installations across your property, but most people will choose to leave these in place in case they wish to reconnect to VM in future, because removal of cable can sometimes mean a property is deemed "unserviceable" in future, and even if that isn't the case, it'll still take much longer to physically reconnect a property than to reactivate an existing cable.

If you wait (sometimes a day or two) forum staff can take details and look into the matter with a view to getting things tidied up and put right.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This has cropped up in several past topics where VM have used a redundant connection at another property as a quick fix to supply a new connection at another.

My understanding from those past topic discussions has been that once your contract/relationship with VM has ended then VM has no right to access your property. The exception to this might be if you have entered into a separate wayleave agreement with VM to allow their infrastructure to cross your property. You'd have to consult a legal adviser for a definitive legal answer though.

The past topics do generally seem to have been resolved in the end but, as with most things to do with communicating with VM, it is not a simple or quick process.

The past method seems to have been for a forum team member to get a local VM representative to visit and look at alternatives for routing the cable. One of the forum team should respond within a day or two to advise on this.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

That was my understanding, once contract ends VM have no right unless a wayleave as been signed.

I'll await a formal response from VM and ask my neighbours to chase at their end.

Ahmed

Hi Andrew-G,

Thanks for your reply, very helpful indeed.

I will wait for VM team to contact me to resolve, tried customer services who seem to pass me from one department to another.

Have a good evening.

Ahmed

Hi there Ahmed, 

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see that this has happened! I am going to send you a PM so we can get this resolved for you! 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your account alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.