cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM socket but no tv socket

MJR1
Joining in

EEC9BF2A-1E8C-40BA-A056-BAA64732B15E.jpeg

Hello, I’ve recently moved into a property I’m renting but only have the VM socket but no aerial socket for the TV. We have a smart TV and don’t want to sign up with Virgin TV. Is it possible to split this connection? Or will We need a separate TV socket? 
we have a VM engineering coming tomorrow but afraid they’ll drill holes/ damage the property!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MJR1 

Depending on freeview signals in your area you may be able to get by with an indoor aerial, plenty are available on Amazon, and if not suitable you can get a refund.

A quick question for you.

Are you getting a braodband only connection, or broadband and phone line connection?

If so why not get the VM Stream box? 

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/stream

It's free (apart from the £35 set up fee) unless you want to subscribe for extra channels.

It has most of the freeview channels which means you won't need to get an aerial.

You can move the Stream box anywhere around the home as it doesn't need a coax connection, it works over the internet.

There's a list of the free inclusive channels. and also the Essential Entertainment channels which you can add for an extra £12 a month on the following page

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/which-channels-and-apps-are-available-on-virgin-media-stream

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you don't subscribe to a VM TV package, you won't be able to receive a TV service from VM via the VM wall socket.

You'll need to get a TV aerial connection of some kind to receive free-to-air broadcast TV which you will need to sort out separately. Would expect online catch-up services would still work via the smart function of the TV with a network connection to your VM hub.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A terrestrial TV aerial coax and a VM broadband coax are totally separate and must never meet. The reason being VM use the same frequencies, among others, as terrestrial TV and if they were on the same cable there would be a large amount of noise ingress into the broadband signal.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MJR1 

Depending on freeview signals in your area you may be able to get by with an indoor aerial, plenty are available on Amazon, and if not suitable you can get a refund.

A quick question for you.

Are you getting a braodband only connection, or broadband and phone line connection?

If so why not get the VM Stream box? 

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/stream

It's free (apart from the £35 set up fee) unless you want to subscribe for extra channels.

It has most of the freeview channels which means you won't need to get an aerial.

You can move the Stream box anywhere around the home as it doesn't need a coax connection, it works over the internet.

There's a list of the free inclusive channels. and also the Essential Entertainment channels which you can add for an extra £12 a month on the following page

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/which-channels-and-apps-are-available-on-virgin-media-stream

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @MJR1, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

If you were to take out Virgin Media TV services, it wouldn't mean you get an aerial as we don't provide those and all of our services are via the coaxial cable.
Your best bet would be to use the advice given by @newapollo to see if you can get a third party extension added on, or even a service where they may be able to add one on for you.
I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs