Menu
HedwigHouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM Wifi Boosters Setup and Connectivity problems

I have Vivid 200 broadband + old Devolo powerline adapters and was getting poor wifi performance around the house.  Spoke to Devolo who said the VM speed was too fast for their old kit and could be causing a bottle neck.  Suggested I buy some new kit from them.  Read about VM boosters so thought they would work better and opted for those.  

It took me an age (literally days) to find a way to install the boosters properly. I followed all the instructions repeatedly and could get the wifi boosters to sync with the hub 3 and generate a working wifi internet signal but I couldn't copy my Hub 3 SSID settings.   I must have reset the units 10-15 times trying to do this..

Methods I tried:

1) WPS setup per the instructions but it didn't work

2) Connecting using the functionality of the VM Connect App but it didn't work (error message - "something is wrong, please try again")

3) Logging into the WIFI booster SSID (VMP etc) directly from a laptop (used the Settings Password from the back of the booster).  This gave me a WPS connection option but it also didn't work

4) If you skip the WPS option in 3) you can actually change with the wireless settings in the wifi booster directly so I simply overwrote the SSID and password to match those of my Hub 3.  

Kind of a mess but it did work.  That said, my VM connect app suggests that everything is not well as whilst it shows the 2x boosters, one has a yellow / amber light and the other has no light at all...  I think both of these should be green.

I could live with all of the above apart from the fact that the wifi boosters are now losing their internet signal pretty much every day.  For no reason and without warning.  The wifi signal is there and I'm connected to it but phones and laptops just say "no internet signal" and nothing works...  If I turn the small powerline adaptor (connected to the hub via ethernet) and the 2x large wifi boosters off and back on again the it comes back to life and works fine..

Have spent 40 minutes of my life - that I am never going to get back - onto VM webchat this morning with what I felt was limited / no understanding of my underlying problem hence the post on here looking for some help!

Thanks in advance all 😉 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Wifi Boosters Setup and Connectivity problems

Hi HedwigHouse,

I am sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the boosters. Did you follow the same steps in the setup section of our troubleshooting guide to try to copy the network details of the hub onto the booster? Booster Guide

Have you tried plugging the booster cable into another socket in your hub to see if you experience the same connectivity issues?

Have you been able to try another factory reset of both the boosters and the hub to see if this resolves the issue of it dropping connection?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
HedwigHouse
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom_S

Thanks for your note.  I attempted to re-do all of this last night with a factory reset of the hub plus the boosters but have achieved the same frustrating result.  I also tried moving the ethernet cable to a new socket on the hub and yes, I have 100% followed the instructions in the setup guide. 

I had a moment of hope that it might be because I had given my 2.4 and 5 networks slightly different names from the hub admin screen (so I could actively log onto one of the other) but I retried this with a single SSID across everything and it still didn't work.  

My interim working solution is having the (hub-matched) SSID coming from each of my 2x boosters but this was only achieved by logging into each booster directly (http://virginmedia-vmp) and manually overriding the settings.  I am still losing internet access completely from the boosted network however at least once a day which needs me to unplug / replug all the boosters to rectify....  The hub's wifi network works perfectly.. 

VM Connect App continues to show the boosters but I have no green lights.  One has an amber light and the other no light.  Screen shot attached.

Appreciate your speedy guidance Tom as this is causing me much angst !  

Thanks, ChrisVMC.PNGVM Connect view

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi HedwigHouse,

Thank you for providing this screenshot and letting us know the various steps you've tried. We would usually recommend having just one SSID to avoid any issues, so it's disappointing to hear this didn't solve the issue for you.

I appreciate that you've already been in touch with our tech teams, but we're going to need to investigate further and the best way to do this would be in a live scenario on the phone. Would you be happy to give us another call so that we can perform a deeper health check on your set up?

If an engineer visit is found to be necessary, they can then arrange this on the same call. The engineer could then perform a similar health check in your home and work towards a resolution by completing changes, or perhaps replacing the equipment.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos