cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM FTTP Rollout

JDX98
Tuning in

Hello,

I've noticed Virgin have started their roll out in my area - various VM cabinets popping up and underground works being carried out.

Is it possible to get a rough idea when the VM service will go live and be available to order? I live in North Tyneside area of Brunswick / Wideopen. Any timeframes would be ideal, as our current contract with Sky renews soon and would be good to switch to try and lower bills. 

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I always advise, the ground build is just the first stage of a long process. Installation of the street kit & cable headend modifications can run into months. The bigger the area build the longer it is likely to take. The staff here will have no idea when services will be available as it is dependent on many factors.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unisoft
Well-informed

@JDX98 wrote:

Hello,

I've noticed Virgin have started their roll out in my area - various VM cabinets popping up and underground works being carried out.

Is it possible to get a rough idea when the VM service will go live and be available to order? I live in North Tyneside area of Brunswick / Wideopen. Any timeframes would be ideal, as our current contract with Sky renews soon and would be good to switch to try and lower bills. 

Thanks

Takes quite a while from initial build to RFS stage.

VM may wait for a whole large geographical area before going live too, rather than dribs and drabs.

Here in West Bergholt the RFoG service came in 2017, the work started in the January 2017 and passed us in the September / October time.

From the date the VM RFoG hatch was installed in our hedge line it took about 1 month for online orders to open.

The VM service going live at our property in the November of 2017.  

The sales team just check the availability and see a Yes / No and they don't know where a build is in progress.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @JDX98, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

May I ask if you've checked the post code checker here to see if there's any plans for services in the area?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello 

I've checked the postcode checker and just says not available. Even a relative's house, which is a short walk away, which has a virgin media connection point outside the house says "no services available". 

Looks like it will be the case of a waiting game for the whole area to be connected up first. 

Do you see a VM connection hatch like the ones below near the boundary of your property ?

If you do, perhaps the checker data base was not updated when the ground works completed.

Client62_2-1673871839259.pngClient62_0-1674067252179.png

Yes, the first one with the virgin logo. 

PXL_20230310_165427690-min (1).jpg

Hi @JDX98 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I will PM you now to get some details to check for you.

Kind regards.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

If you gently open the hatch you may see the fibre microbore tube that runs back to a local street cabinet.

The microbore to the hatch in this area is a tough green tube like this piece ...

IMG_1350.JPG