cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM 500 keeps dropping ping during daytime

Canada_67
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm running a Hub 3.0 in modem mode on the 500Mb service, this has been working perfectly for many years.

I run the modem into a Unifi UDM-Pro gateway into the WAN port, I also run an LTE failover on the WAN2 port in case of the (up until now) very rare failure of the VM link - all the more important these days when everyone working from home!!!!

Both WAN ports ping to 1.1.1.1 and will report as failed in the event of 6 ping consecutive failures; if eth8 (VM WAN) fails the gateway will fail over the WAN connection to the LTE modem.

In the past couple of days, I keep getting ping fails on the eth8 (VM WAN) port, sometimes once or twice an hour, sometime 10 times an hour but for some reason overnight the link seems to be stable.

I have run tcpdump on the port and sure enough, I can see multiple failures.  I have PCAP file if required.

@Zoie_P - as discussed please see above.

9 REPLIES 9

ReactUK
On our wavelength

In modem mode, can you see the routers actual logging? I'm placing money on T3 errors and a shed load of drops in the log. Many Pre/Post RS errors?

I had horrific daytime connectivity for a long time.. night was perfect. 

Canada_67
On our wavelength
I've had a look and nothing untoward in the log, there is a T3 Timeout on 9/7/21 but none since.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I too have a UDM Pro and have seen dropouts like you describe when VM have been doing “maintenance” overnight. Also nothing in the logs. I could see a lot of red dropped packets in the ThinkBroadband graph. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Canada_67
On our wavelength

Yes, I would expect a few drop outs but not the number I'm having and not during the day.... VM say they aren't doing any maintenance and have not made any changes in the past few days...

However it has failed no less than 94 times today (so far) since 07:54 but no failures between 20:34 yesterday and the first one this morning...

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Canada_67,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post?
I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

Canada_67
On our wavelength

Hi Corey,

I'm still having issues and working with router supplier to narrow down whether problem is with router or the VM connection.

Will keep you posted.

Hi Canada_67,

Thanks for coming back, please let us know how things go, just to give us a little more to work on I advise yo to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. please run this for 72 hours and post the results here so we can have a further look into this for you.

Kind regards

Paul.

Canada_67
On our wavelength
Thanks Paul,

Have set up, will monitor and get back to you in 3 days or so...

Hi Canada_67,

Once you have run this pop the results here and we can have a further look into things for you.

Regards

Paul.