cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an existing router to start contract

Cwells91
Joining in

Hi 

My Co tract has started but my router won't be delivered until February. I work for the nhs and have to work from home on occasion. 

Is there any way my new router can be delivered sooner or can my contract be connected to the router the previous home owner left behind? 

Many thanks and merry Christmas 

Charlotte 

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are not likely to get an answer from VM on this forum as they don't usually reply here. I don't think VM will do this for you. AIUI, it is new account gets a new router.

Personally, I would not recommend that you try to get the old router from the previous owner reconnected anyway.

Assuming it is a current model, VM will charge the previous owner for its loss and the router will be linked to that past account. You will then be linking an old router from a past account to your current account at a common address for the two accounts.

Given VM's general incompetence at anything that falls outside their normal processes and procedures, I'd suggest that you would be opening up the possibility of a load of VM administrative chaos (not least of which would be if the previous owner tries to reclaim the original router to return it)!

Your contract should not start until your service is activated and running. Have VM advised why they cannot supply a router until Feb? That sounds ridiculous.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Edit: Topic has now been moved from 'Community Natter' into 'Quick Start' so you should get a reply from the VM forum team here within a day or two to find out why there is such a long delay on your router.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Cwells91

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting your services up and running. 

Have we been able to inform you why we are not able to provide you a hub until February? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak 

Thank you for your reply 

I have no been told why it can't be delivered until then just that that is when it is due and I have no idea how to get it sooner

Many thanks 

Charlotte 

Is the previous owner's hub still activated? If yes you can make use of it until it is deactivated when your hub gets activated, if no VM can activate it on your account.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its odd that the previous occupant hasn't returned the Hub - they will get billed by VM for non-return. Unless its an old Hub that they no longer want back - what model is it (printed on the base sticker)?

Zak should be able to tell you what's what - but did you order a "quick start" pack or a Tech install?  Have you got an Account set up on line yet ?  If so - what does it say in the notes on there

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Cwells91, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear about the delay in the delivery of the hub and it does seem quite far away and this may imply construction issues. I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further for you. - Chris. 

Hi Cwells91, thanks for messaging us over private message and I am glad that we are moving forward with this and will reach out to you on Sunday with a resolution. ^Chris