cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a third party router and naming the SSID

Wafter
On our wavelength

Hi,

I am planning to add a third party router to my Superhub3 which will of course be in modem mode. My question is this: When I set up the new network and have to give it a SSID and a password can I use my present original Virgin SSID and password? If I can and do, will all my devices seamlessly migrate to the new network so that I don't have to reconfigure all my phones, visitor's phones, cameras, Alexas, thermostats, light bulbs, smart plugs etc?. It would be wonderful if this could happen but some of you are going to tell me that it is stupid, inadvisable or down right impossible - or are you?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Actually no, it’s perfectly possible and is a very good idea. There’s no reason why this shouldn’t work exactly as you anticipate.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jem101
Superstar

Actually no, it’s perfectly possible and is a very good idea. There’s no reason why this shouldn’t work exactly as you anticipate.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its possible I just would not recommend it its better to have a long password

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wafter
On our wavelength

Longer than Virgin's?

to be honstely say its up to the person if you want to change the password do it but you have to readd stuff again you can reuse the stuff and you do not have to readd the stuff you had on with virgin media i will split up the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz as well don't have them with the same thing thats the problem with the speed in the frist place

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The advantages of long passwords are over-stated, because even they can be easily hacked in this day and age, if the hacker has the tools and is prepared to invest the effort.  Given the short range of wifi, this means the hackers need to be close by and to really want into your home network.  Obviously if you work for Universal Exports or similar, then you might be of more interest to hackers, but in that case you'd not be using home wifi with the carefree abandon of the rest of us, and you'd also have noticed a van with blacked out windows parked outside, with Tom Cruise, Simon Pegg, or Jeremy Renner trying to blend in with your neighbours (or bearded, unsmiling thuggish types with Russian accents).

By all means reuse the existing VM password and SSID if you want as there's no material security or technical reason you can't do this, and the random characters of the default VM password aren't going to fail in response to casual guesswork.  

You've just described my estate.... 😉

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

it is 50/50 this will happen with hackers to be honstely say or you will not have anyone that will what to try it if your neighbours are not like lotharmat do want you want with your wifi

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

you can keep tab on people around you i only have alexa and a tabet on wifi other stuff is hard wired connection if your moblie is on unlimited data keep off wifi no need to have that connected to wifi 

Wafter
On our wavelength

Just had a thought. Would the fact that the Superhub and the new router having different mac addresses stop the devices from just automatically connecting?