cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent - Wifi not working

thomdeane92
Joining in

I've had my virgin hub set up for a month or so and the entire time my Wi-Fi has been incredibly slow and unstable as it only works in practically one room in the house. The light at the bottom of the hub is always orange and I've noticed that our wall socket isn't Virgin Media, plus there are lots of loose miscellaneous cables. Overall, it seems that the whole system hasn't been setup properly (it was a self install) and therefore the Wi-Fi doesn't work. This is particularly troubling as all my work relies on being online.

Can virgin send out an engineer?

Any advice very much appreciated.

- Thom

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

start with some more info - do you have any wired devices if so do they work ok - dont worry about the power light it can be any colour from white to coffee coloured - just crap quality led's

what do you mean by other cables - if you only have the hub you should be connecting to the wall box with the supplied cable - post some pictures of what you have and the other cables and where they are connected - the name on the wall box matters not can be a few things - ntl - blueyonder - telewest to name but 3

Tony.
Sacked VIP

0232A81F-6C9D-43FC-83FD-EFA1C7BB6428.jpeg

D90DDB72-E67F-47F2-9FF0-29F194379956.jpeg

9EB89F7E-1259-415A-88AE-3F2D686CECFF.jpeg

  

What do you mean by wired devices? I’ve attached some images below of the wall box and loose cables - plus where the cables lead to. I’ve also attached an image of an additional wall box we have. 

Thanks for your quick reply! 

2E0166F3-2C53-44E7-A36E-6C959F86C38C.jpeg

84796982-C201-4091-BF75-A2D4CF3B3DEB.jpeg

5635226D-B9A3-40A9-A824-EF12F4210EEB.jpeg

1st image is a telephone point and of no interest

4th 5th and 6th images are in internal BB box - NTL but that should not matter - i assume all 3 images are the same box

the other wires certainly look like part of an old install - where do they come from or go - again is that just one wire - can you find the other end - if so does it just have a connector on it

post some levels from the hub - if the loose wire has been part of the original install removing it could have had a negative effect

a wired device - is a laptop or pc [for example] connected to the hub by a lan cable rather than wifi

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

5EE16D68-27FF-40DD-A663-F16AB1FAC2BB.png

   

I have a pc connected by a lan cable but the connection has to be constantly reset as it doesn’t properly connect. The wires travel around the house but I’ve located the ends - which have for both wires have been cut (see pictures below) so I assume this was just an old install that’s been disconnected? Also the wires were disconnected when we moved in and haven’t been touched during our install. Find figures below. 

8D8AC564-E7B9-4B7E-8E1F-980577DA980C.jpeg

1428CD47-49B6-4C89-B5E6-417842FA0F9A.jpeg

465BD302-B19C-4CCD-856E-E57EEE8F89B3.png

F1C1796A-5E2B-43BB-BF45-28225112BD49.png

DCDF2192-B726-4A0E-947D-CB74C41466A3.png

   

59A74996-3563-4E5A-A83D-01984FF6C4CE.png

2C156BA0-3813-411B-B8BF-5F3C6D0C7A68.png

8CABD3E6-CAA7-440D-91C4-51A642C2B5E1.png

the cable may have been part of an earlier install maybe to a TV box - its doing nothing now so leave it or remove it its not part of the problem

always hard to read levels when they are screen grabs but from what i can see they are all ok 

for the wifi have you split the wifi bands and turned off wifi optimisation - if not do that - you need to log into the hub and go to the wifi settings - see if that helps

if that does not help then wait here for VM - wifi problems are one thing and the hubs wifi is poor to crap but if you are getting problems on a wired device thats something else and maybe could do with a tech to look at the wiring to the wall box and see if its ok

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If those redundant wires are still connected to a splitter in the outside box then they should be removed from it rather than being left hanging with cut ends. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Dear Tony,

When I joined this forum, I never envisioned that my problems could be solved. But you’ve done it. You’ve really done it. I took the first step into my room today, my phone illuminated by the three bars of WiFi that hovered atop my screen. I can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done for me, for all of us in this house. I’m indebted to you. My grandfather was called Tony.. it feels in some way, like he’s reached out to me, through you. He was always great with technical problems, a mechanic with a bright mind. So thank you, for all that you’ve done for me today, I hope you’re well and I hope you’ve found peace. The world needs more people like you. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @thomdeane92

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Glad to hear the very helpful -tony- has managed to fix this issue for you, have a great day!

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs