cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Power Issues

-cb-
Tuning in

I've been experiencing connection drops recently and a VM tech changed my router to no avail.

Now I can see that the problem is that the upstream transmission needs more power than the hub is capable of. The hub seems to max out at 51 dBmV, and at times all 4 channels are transmitting at full power like the image below.

I know this was a bad day and a bad time, but it's a regular occurrence causing almost daily outages.

What's the process to get this looked into?

In the meantime, would it be possible to get the hub configured for one upstream channel?

Upstream2.png

26 REPLIES 26

Hi Megan_L,

Thanks for the note. It's still not resolved unfortunately.

Internet cut off two times today while I was using it: For around 15 minutes at 5:30 and for a short time at 15:30. Not sure whether there was any other downtime as I was out for a while too.

Now when I called at 5:30, your system told me to call back during office hours and I'm just off that call... The guy in India (I guess) assures me that the problem will be fixed in a couple of hours, but I'm pretty confident he's looking at the high-ish downstream signal levels which are a result of the tech yesterday removing the downstream attenuator.

Chris.

Quick update...

Had a fruitful conversation with a Virgin person in India yesterday. She was brilliant and knew her stuff. Have another engineer booked for tomorrow. Am hopeful that it's on the path to getting fixed 🙂

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @-cb-

Thanks for posting on our community forum and great to hear you've managed to get an engineer booked in with the team.

Please keep us updated with how your visit goes 🙂

Have a great day

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the ping. Unfortunately yesterday's visit was a total waste of my time.

It looks like you didn't have anyone from the networks team to send, so you sent a normal tech to look pretty and waste my time.

So I'm back to being annoyed with Virgin, especially because I don't know what to do next.

The tech explained that the networks guy 'should' visit on Monday... but I have no record of this - I'd normally receive a text asking about Covid if you have a tech who might pop in the door... so I don't know whether any action is necessary on my side to make it happen.

Thanks for coming back to us @-cb-.

Did the network engineer visit yesterday to look into your issues?

Regards,

Steven_L

No. Nothing happened yesterday. And I'm still not sure whether anyone was booked or whether the engineer just said that.

Guess I'll call again tomorrow.

So I seem to be back at square 1... standard tech booked for Friday, and I'll call in again when they leave to try to get someone who can look into the issue.

Tech called today. Helpful as usual but couldn't do anything.

They adjusted signal levels and changed some connections over. Here's hoping.

Hey there @-cb-, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the poor broadband experience you've been having recently.
May I ask how the connection has been since the adjustment of the signal levels and the connection changes?

Keep us informed and we can go on from there 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Well, it's been down and it has struggled, of cousre. This was yesterday afternoon while it was having problems:

51.3 max.png

I have a simple question too: What do you (at VM) consider "in spec" as far as upstream power and downstream errors?

I've shared quite a few posts showing the details on my side, and it's pretty obvious to me that my link experiences a lot of errors and power variance... I'm just curious as to what you consider "good", because I'm getting a lot of **bleep** from the people who visit.