cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds dropping to unusable levels in the evening

KroyVR
Tuning in

I'm having intermittent, but regular and some what reliable, upstream connection issues. The line quality and upload bandwidth drops to unusable levels. The problem starts around 20:30 to 21:30 and continues through to around 00:00. I spoke to a helpful CS in the faults department. There are about 50 disconnects on my line between Monday and Wednesday this week. 

This is my connection after a short while online through an evening having restarted that day. FkrY710XgAAZ9XE.png

It's usually a 36mbps solid upload, the image below is typical of where it ends up. The bandwidth alone is not the issue, but the quality of the line. It drops lower, goes a bit higher, stops working at all. Completely unreliable. I stream on Twitch, so I'm more sensitive to upload speed issues than many, but even regular usage of the net is impacted beyond simple browsing.

imagedfscgdfg.png

I have had an engineer visit. He replaced the laser connector. Checked the line stats. They were messy. Couldn't get in to the cabinet because it was frozen. (In fairness it was very cold, snow and ice everywhere).

I since called 150 (I have two mobile contracts, broadband and phone all out of contract with Virgin) and have variously since been given the runaround. I have posted a complaint for what it's worth. Twitter support (PR/social) suggested I post here... . 

6 REPLIES 6

KroyVR
Tuning in

Here's the current situation. As per expectations, the evening brings the problems, conveniently after the customer service is offline and closed. I didn't check, but this usually kicks off at around 21:00 hours. The T3 Timeouts are since around 17:30 when I last reset the route (on instruction by Virgin CS).

FksbT5dXoB44D22.jpgFksbtDWXoAIUQj7.pngFksbjHxXoAAW9mo.png

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi KroyVR,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your Upload speeds. I've ran some checks on our end, and can't see any problems with the upload speeds being sent to your Hub - they're in line with the speeds on your service. I haven't been able to run full tests - is your Hub currently in Modem Mode, and are you using your own equipment?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

To quote my original post.

"The problem starts around 20:30 to 21:30 and continues through to around 00:00. "

To verify this fault please either

1) check during these times (e.g. at time of post, my upload speed just reported as 1.78mbps)

or

2) Access the historic logs of my line and see the number of disconnects it has experienced in the past month. You will see that the holistic data on my line points to the problem.

I was asked to come here for help after posting on social media about the problems. Can you please do everything you can to look in to this. And if you cannot do one or either of the above, please let me know where I can seek support from those that can.

Best regards,

Kroy.

And furthermore, at the time of 14:00 UTC about when you reported that checks had been run, my hub was switched off at the mains, and has been all day, until this evening at approximately 17:00. This is a rare occurence, but it has been necessary today.

Hi Kroy,

Sorry to hear of the issues regarding the upload speeds, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

We can see you have spoken to the team in regards to this since posting, were they able to help with this during the call or offer a resolution? Please let us know the outcome of the call.

Rob

I have an engineer appointment booked for the 5th of January 2023. That will be: the second engineer to visit; a month after the problem presented itself for the first time, and many hours lost to navigating the multitude of customer support options (Virgin Media CS phone, Virgin Media and Virgin Media UK twitter accounts, this forum, webpages and an official complaint). At least I have a single point of contact now. I expect at least a diagnosis on the 5th, if not full resolution.