cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from hub 3 to 1GB hub 5- extremely high ping/latency

BlakeDormer
Tuning in

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I upgraded from a hub 3.0 to hub 5 with the 1gb download on Tuesday however since upgrading have had nothing but high ping,  I play a lot of warzone and stream often, the ping is jumping from 20-30 to 400-900ms , this is completely unplayable I have spoken to VM customer service and the advisor did not even know what ping or latency was, they spouted something about waiting 48 hours,  this has solved nothing

I have created a BQM ,any help would be appreciated

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2968e5fc86aafad26356bff2e3465fa3efc3423e

15 REPLIES 15

Do not know what you mean by band 

last week i was told some one from your geek team told us they would monitor the internet for 24th and get back to us and i had nothing iv have written 3 complaints and call you everyday and im getting the same reply this is the worst experience iv ever had iv had to get bt to come in and set up there hub just so i can work if this is not sorted soon i will be leaving virgin your customer service is the worst iv ever had to deal with iv been a customer for 20 years the only reason i have not left already is this is the 1st problem iv had with you the hub 3 i did not get a problem at all and had that one for 2 years plus this 1gb internet with the hub 5 as been nothing but problem so i need you to ever fix this problem and get some that know whats going on or put me back on the internet i was on and lower my bill for it i have lost 7 day holiday why i waited for you to fix it and lost 4 day work because you still have not fix and had to pay bt to come fit there hub so i can work 

@BlakeDormer wrote:

last week i was told some one from your geek team told us they would monitor the internet for 24th and get back to us and i had nothing iv have written 3 complaints and call you everyday and im getting the same reply this is the worst experience iv ever had iv had to get bt to come in and set up there hub just so i can work if this is not sorted soon i will be leaving virgin your customer service is the worst iv ever had to deal with iv been a customer for 20 years the only reason i have not left already is this is the 1st problem iv had with you the hub 3 i did not get a problem at all and had that one for 2 years plus this 1gb internet with the hub 5 as been nothing but problem so i need you to ever fix this problem and get some that know whats going on or put me back on the internet i was on and lower my bill for it i have lost 7 day holiday why i waited for you to fix it and lost 4 day work because you still have not fix and had to pay bt to come fit there hub so i can work 

Ah the old 'we'll monitor the connection for the next 24 hours, now get off the phone you annoying person' response - they won't be monitoring anything (how could they?), and they absolutely won't be calling  you back; just doesn't happen!

So do you have a working BT connection? If so then surely you just need to cancel the VM service? No?

yes i just BT but the 75mb and what i do 75mb is ok i can deal with it but i can see there being problems so im stuck between a pillar and a post deal with my files downloading slow or deal with VM rubbish internet

sounds like congestion, but if it only happened when you upgraded to a new hub that's just weird, tried factory restoring it? I assume you use a different switch etc? they all setup/tweaked correctly? I do wonder if the 1gb lines or network is different some how from the lower packages? doesn't make sense.

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Hi Blake, 
Your Hub transmits Wi-Fi from 2 different frequency radio bandwidths. 

2.4ghz - which runs to a further distance but at a lower speed. 

5ghz - which runs to a shorter distance but to a higher speed. 

We have an Intelligent Wi-Fi feature built into the hubs called channel optimisation which (if turned on) allows your devices to freely move between both frequency bands to optimise Wi-Fi coverage. 

If one of these frequency bands is turned off, this is limiting the possible coverage in your home, and also creating additional congestion on the band which is working, as all of your devices will be using it. If you have a device on the band which is not best for it, this can pull your bandwidth and also affect coverage on other devices. 

You can change your hub settings to turn on and off each band, personalise the name of each of these, and also turn on or off channel optimisation. You can read more about how to do this here: How to set up Virgin Media broadband | Virgin Media Help in the 'How to configure advanced settings on the Hub' section at the bottom of the page. 

If you need help with these settings we can send you a PM to investigate your current set up and offer support - just let us know!

I have also double checked our systems again today and there are still no issues with speeds reaching your hub - its averaging 1140mbps download and 49mbps Upload for the past week, and there are no issues showing at the exchange. 

Let us know how things are currently so we can offer support with the Wi-Fi set up if needed!

All the best. 

Molly