cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre to the premises?

LiamG91
On our wavelength

Screenshot_20211102-153309_Outlook.jpg

 oooo does this mean they are upgrading our estate to fibre to the premises? I hope so.

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Unlikely. Although Virgin Media have announced an upgrade of their network to FTTP, the overbuild hasn't started yet.

Currently though, all customers on the coax HFC network and where there is full FTTP can get all the same services.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

asim18
Fibre optic

Hmm the email says "This should improve your connection".

I would be setting up a BQM and doing some speed tests before and after to see how much the connection really improves.

LiamG91
On our wavelength

I was hoping with it being worded "works to modernise and future proof the network" would mean fibre to the premises. Time will tell.....

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They may just be resegmenting the network to allow for more capacity?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When I got an email like this there was a 10 minute interruption during the day. I didn't notice any difference after whatever they were doing was completed.

This was about 2 months after the cabinet upgrade for DOCSIS 3.1 (1 Gig service).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If it was FTTP, you’d know all about it as there would be quite a lot of pavements and roads being dug up - certainly not something that will be done in a single day.

As @Adduxi says this does sound like a reseg being done, what’ll happen is you will lose connectivity for a bit and then it’ll come back (you’ll notice the light flashing on the hub as it tries to reconnect), you’ll probably also have a new IP address.

Now these things are usually done to relive congestion and over utilisation so you might well see something of an improvement afterwards.