Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to Hub 4?

Hi Virgin

Am I able to upgrade my Hub 3 to the Hub 4? I’ve seen some articles suggesting you are offering this to some customers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to Hub 4?

Hello

Currently the Hub 4 is for customer on the 1gbps plan, and for customers in an area that can get 1gbps and there is high utilization, but this by invite only. So it will depend on the area you are in have  a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband to see if your area has been 1gbps enabled.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 4 is only available in areas that have been upgraded to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard (about 30% of VM's UK network), and even then you'll only get one if you subscribe to the pricey Gig1 service, or if you live in an area subject to recognised network congestion.  In any qualifying case you'd almost certainly have been on the list of people to have the Hub 4 or Gug1 service pushed in their direction.

But why do you want one?  Plenty of teething problems being reported with the Hub 4, the wifi doesn't appear materially better, and if your connection has power or noise problems now, a Hub 4 won't solve those.

On the other hand if this is about "shiney......neww...must...have...latest", then try phoning up and see if they'll give you one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

I think I’m on the fringe of a Gig1 enabled area (Romsey). Not sure when Gig1 will be extended so I doubt I’m eligible yet. 

The maximum speed I can get so far is M600. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As Andruser has asked... why do you want one? if yours "aint broke dont try and fix it".

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand  As Andruser has asked... why do you want one? if yours "aint broke dont try and fix it".

I've changed my mind.  @razorhazor should phone up and go for it. 

Somebody's got to be the chain smoking beagle, otherwise how will you and I be sure that in a couple of years' time the Hub 4 will have had its bugs sorted and be safe for ordinary chaps like us?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser
You are on the second bottle of wine already I see 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

DOCSIS 3.1 and the Gig1 product will be available to all by the end of 2021. I expect that customers in selective areas will continue to be offered the hub 4 as a cheap way of resolving contention issues.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos