Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade Speed

I plan to upgrade my broadband to 300 mbs. however my current router(hub 3) has some problems. Atm it only shows red light on it for months. So if I upgraded will I get the new hub 4?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgrade Speed

You'd only get a Hub 4 if you area has been upgraded to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard that supports gigabit connections AND you took out a gigabit speed package OR you have network congestion issues.  Looking at the reports in this forum, whilst a Hub 4 can work perfectly well, it has no real advantages of a working Hub 3, and you'd be exposing yourself to a potential range of weird and esoteric problems.

Do a pinhole reset of the hub.  Does the red light remain on?  If it does the forum staff can get it replaced.  When you've got it replaced, then we can see if your connection is reliable and offering the speeds expected without latency or packet loss problems.  And only once all that's sorted does it make sense to consider increasing the speed of your connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I tried that a couple of times.. my hub still only shows red light in it.. my current plan is 100 mb and minimum should be 50 mb.. However my current speed is only 25-45.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I've flagged your post for the forum staff to advise, chances are they will get a replacement Hub 3 sent out.  The red light could be the hub overheating or just a faulty sensor to LED, but either way it needs replacement.  If it were genuinely malfunctioning then the replacement hub should resolve the matter, but if its only the sensor or LED then the poor connection will remain, and we'll have to do some digging through your hub's status data and a few connection tests.  But I am confident that it can be resolved without having to endure the VM telephone service.

Note for forum staff: If you see this note can you check @Xnatsu23 's router status see if there's any line problems in addition to the hub's red light? Thanks.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Xnatsu23,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with your hub, I've been able to locate your account using your forum details. I can see you're currently affected by an area congestion issue, this is due to be resolved on the 17th November, fault reference number F008438834. 

The hubs specifications itself look to be fine- a red let would usually mean the hub is overheating, can you confirm if it's out in the open and the vents are free from obstruction?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is out on the open and their is no obstruction..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming 🙂

I've popped you over a private message to go through security, as I do think a new hub is needed due to the red light.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos