cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsightly power socket

Stagedrivery
Joining in

We recently had virgin media installed with two tv boxes. We had existing cabling in a new build (to living room) but we wanted the second box to be in the family room where no cables (apart from tv aerial) 

installation day they asked to use aerial sockets as a solution and I said yes, but I didn’t realise at this cost. 
We now have a quite unsightly setup in the bedroom (pic attached) which is on full show, and I wanted to see everyone’s opinions as I can’t believe this is normal and can’t possibly be put somewhere else. We actually have a utility cupboard with lots of power right behind where virgin enters the property. 

anyones thoughts on this?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no picture attached.

Ariel sockets as a solution to what?  Both V6's must have a co-ax cable connection to the VM network to receive "cable" TV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, 

Please find picture attached. Didn't work from my phone for some reason. 

And our aerial cable is co-axial. 

Thanks! 

IMG_3817.jpg

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, as you're in a new build I would say that's the power supply for an FTTP install.

Those installs are converted to coax at the property, and the converter needs power to work.

EDIT: the current New Build handbook does suggest there are non-FTTP HFC install versions of these too. Not quite sure what they do though, but you do get splitters and other distribution kit for HFC that need power.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hmm yes you are right, just confused why it’s on direct show in the middle of the bedroom and not the utility cupboard like it should be (and like BT is) 

it’s not often BT makes sense…. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I suppose it depends where they were able to route the cable or fibre at install.

If BT are in a cupboard they that cabling would have been done during the house build.

Virgin Media do recommend the same as you can see in the New Build PDF but that's up to the developer as to what to put where.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi Stagedrivery thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're unhappy with the location of your power socket.  We can look into sending out a technician to relocate this.  There would be a fee of £25.00 to do so.  But you would then be able to discuss the alternatives with the attending technician.

Regards

Lee