cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfulfilled Installation Commitments and Unprofessional Customer Service

scorzh
Tuning in

I write to express my profound dissatisfaction with the service I have received from Virgin Media regarding the installation of my Volt 1GB broadband connection. My experience has been characterized by delays, miscommunications, and unmet promises, culminating in substantial inconvenience and frustration.

Allow me to detail the sequence of events:

1. Initial Contact (25 July): I submitted my contact information on the Virgin Media website. A sales representative promptly reached out, and I emphasized the importance of having the services installed before the 8th of August. I was assured of the feasibility and was placed on the "cancellation waiting list," with a direct contact number provided for any issues.

2. Contract Signing: I proceeded to sign the contract for Volt 1GB, in full faith of the agreed installation date.

3. Unforeseen Delays: One or two days before the scheduled installation, I was informed that the date had been pushed back to September. I expressed my inability to wait, and the representative promised to sort it out, only for no one to contact me or arrive on the agreed date (8 August).

4. Repeated Promises and No Shows (9 August): I received mixed messages regarding the installation date, and after spending the entire day waiting, no engineer arrived. The following day, I was told the date had been moved to 6 September, then mystically changed to 24 August.

5. Further Miscommunications and Delays: Despite expressing my wish to terminate the contract if the service was not started within the week, I was persuaded to wait for a survey, only to be disappointed again when no one arrived at my address.

My experience has led me to conclude that trust in this company's promises is misplaced. The constant deferrals and lack of clarity from various representatives have wasted my time and shattered my confidence in Virgin Media's ability to deliver.

I have decided to terminate my contract tomorrow and will try raising a formal complaint with Ofcom. The unrealistic expectations set for installation dates and the hours I have wasted on the phone could have been entirely avoided had I chosen a different provider two weeks ago.

I hope my experience will be taken seriously and prompt a thorough investigation into the practices within your company. I look forward to your response and assurance that such issues will be addressed promptly to prevent future customers from facing similar disappointment.

14 REPLIES 14

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Sorry chum, but your experience is very common. If Virginmedia were interested in customer service they would have sorted it long, long ago. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey scorzh, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

I can see from our side you have been in contact with the team, did they manage to get this resolved for you at all? Cheers

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matthew,

The issue has not been resolved, as evident from my previous post. I’ve been calling the support line daily and keep receiving inconsistent replies. Initially, the installation was scheduled for 8 Aug, but no one showed up. Later, an agent mentioned that the engineer would come on 9 Aug, yet again, no one showed up. Yesterday, I was informed that the new date is 6 Sep, but the pre-installation department mentioned 24 Aug. I was also told that a surveyor would visit on 10 Aug to assess the site and determine the installation date, but, unsurprisingly, no one appeared.

No problem , sorry to hear I will send you a PM now please look out for in your messages. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

scorzh
Tuning in

I was told that apparently someone came yesterday and checked that there is no cable going to the house, although representatives said me that already before. Cable works are now scheduled to 15 Aug and service installation on 24 Aug. I'm going to keep writing updates here so potential clients have one more data point on how Virgin customer support and installation team works.

I have just replied to your PM with this I can't discuss it on public form as it has your data involved. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

scorzh
Tuning in

I'm still waiting for my connection. On August 15th, an engineer came and completed all the necessary work to lay the cable up to the house. On August 24th, another engineer arrived to bring the cable into the house and install all the equipment. However, he mentioned that the previous engineer likely did not connect the cable properly, as there was no signal. Despite spending several hours trying to resolve the issue, he was unsuccessful. Today, I called Virgin Media again, and they informed me that I would have to wait for another team to address the problem, which won't be available until September. At this point it was quite predictable. I insisted to check it earlier as everything is already installed and only needs to be connected, and they promised to call me later today to check it remotely somehow. 

scorzh
Tuning in

Unsurprisingly, no one called me back as promised, so I took the initiative and called them myself. I explained to multiple people that everything is already installed, except for the services, which simply don't work. I spent a few more hours on the phone being redirected back and forth. In the end, all they managed to do was arrange for another engineer to perform external work, only to send yet another engineer to redo the internal work. Essentially, they're repeating processes that have already been completed and for which I've already waited more than a month. Predictably, the earliest available time for the engineer is mid-September, which isn't surprising given that they are repeating the same work multiple times for each client. I won't be available then, so the installation date has been pushed even further back to October 2nd.

To be honest, this situation reflects the total incompetence of Virgin's installation team and customer support. All the hardware is already in place; how difficult could it be to just send an engineer to connect my cable to the right socket? Does this really necessitate repeating the entire installation procedure and waiting another month?

Hi scorzh,

Thanks for your update on what's been happening. 

We really wish that we could help further with this, however sadly with pre installation issues, we are extremely limited.

I can see that your complaint is still active and with the right team. They'll reach out to you again soon to discuss a resolution

Beth