Menu
KSt1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unexplained £20 activation fee

Hello, please can someone advise why I have been charged a £20 activation fee for my new SuperHub 3.0 that I was not given any information about?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unexplained £20 activation fee

No idea why you weren't told but it's there in the terms.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/quickstart/post-purchase.html

Minimum term applies to your cable service, check basket for details. If you cancel during the minimum contract period you will incur an early disconnection fee.

Service availability: SERVICES AVAILABLE IN VIRGIN MEDIA CABLED STREETS ONLY. Subject to survey, capacity and credit check, minimum term contract applies, check basket for details. If you cancel during the minimum contract period you will incur an early disconnection fee. 
Installation: Engineer installation fees may apply on certain packages or bundles (starting from £40 for standard install).
Activation Fee: There is an activation fee of £20.00.

Dave.

KSt1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave. Irritating in that case as I've been a VM customer for years now and was simply upgrading to new hub... will still query it....
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Most orders that require new kit will include the activation fee, whether you're a new customer or an existing customer - including both Broadband and TV.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Jamesdholding
Settling in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello - this happened to me also. Not one mention of this hidden fee. I was very reluctant to take the additional services but the lady on the phone assured me for ONLY a small monthly increase I would get tv for 18 months. I asked and asked about any other costs. A categorical none. Then bang 20 pound activation fee.

On calling tonight the not so helpful support said it was a mandatory fee. And I said I get that but when I ask is there any more costs that I should be aware of and the virgin representative says no. Then that is simply not acceptable. I don’t think I can recall the last time such a stunt had been applied that has then not been back tracked.

After 10 plus years I can not wait to leave. Plus I am also getting 400kbps download speeds in the evening. Boom brilliant upgrade team Virgin.
Just_Jayne01
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've just got my first bill after installation 12th December and a frustrating few days waiting for an upgrade, I was shocked to see the amount of it (forgetting the rep had said it would be a double bill) and when checking it saw the £20 fee which wasn't mentioned when I signed up. I paid an up front fee of £25 to begin with too!

Who reads the small print? It should be mandatory that customers or potential customers are informed of this before they sign up. 

jamesofmerton
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

''Who reads the small print?''

i do it is a legally binding document and clearly gives information about any ' hidden fee'