cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underground install poor communication, timeline

Timthorley
Tuning in

Hi all,

Long story short ive moved into a new home 12 months ago internet has always cut off randomly sometimes hours sometimes a day and it only impacts me, i had a guy out turns out theres a problem with the underground cable so the underground cable team came and went to put a new install in, they couldn't do it due to the underground ducting to my house has collapsed so they have to dig the road up to repair the duct which will allow the cable install the problem i have is the communication from virgin has been horrendous ive had to constantly chase im now 1 week in somebody rang to say they have put it on hold and are awaiting construction permits i presume this is to do with council permits but they just said it could be up to 8 weeks we have no idea when it will be done.

Currently working from home and using mobile hotspot getting absolutely rinsed on data, is there anyway to pin down a more accurate date if its a couple of weeks ill suffer the data charges but if its like 8 weeks i may aswell pay for a short term wifi data only service from somebody.

I just feel like virgin have said yep its knackered, well be round eventually to fix it good luck! I just need to somehow get a better idea of timescales 

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have a good read through this forum. A good percentage of the topics are identical to your own about difficulties getting cables installed or renewed. Don't get your hopes up too high about anything happening fast nor any of the dates/schedules you are given being reliable.

In some cases on here, VM have given waiting customers a free mobile dongle while waiting for work to happen. Success of same might entirely depend on VM's mobile coverage at your location but you could enquire about it.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Timthorley,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you've been having getting your services installed, I can see on the system that you have spoken to the team recently about this, have they been able to give you any further information about the delays and the plan to get you installed?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thanks for responding, spent an hour chasing today only to find out it still hasnt been passed to the contracting team from about 2 weeks ago and im still in limbo and alls it needs is a desludge or something but still ill be waiting up to 8 weeks, is there any dongle that i could use please temporarily, im honestly exhausted trying to get this sorted.

Thanks for the advice i must admit its quite concerning i feel as though ive been thrown in a pile of forgotton work when i call for an update they just say we will get to you when we get to you they havent even processed the job yet judging by todays information thats 2 weeks wasted and they know theres nothing i can do, ive been with virgin for 8 years now and never left its such a shame to see the service go downhill 😔 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I assure you that the team you have been speaking with would be able to arrange something - have you raised this with them? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if its a total loss of internet then you should be getting £8 a day compensation - this will be paid when things are sorted - may be a credit or you can push for a cash [cheque] payment - you will continue to pay VM for the privilege of not having a working service - use the upcoming credit to get an unlimited data sim or upgrade your own sim to unlimited - if you get a new sim it will cost you £20 a month or less - if you get good 5g the connection should be good - 4g not as good

the construction and repull is out of your hands - the 6 to 8 weeks construction time [or more] is a few days for your council to approve it and the rest for the contractor to get off his bum and do it - i speak from experience as the same thing happened to me last year - i had more contractors who came - looked and took off like F1 drivers never to be seen again

nothing you say or do will change that - complains to VM has no effect - they may well pass it on to the contractor who [from experience] will ignore it 

Tony.
Sacked VIP