Menu
Danjjr
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unable to book engineer for multi room

Hi guys, 

I've been told by customer service that due to the current restrictions I can't book an engineer to come round and splice/extend our coax at the entry point externally round to our new extension (which is outside/external and has no doors etc yet) so I can then upgrade for multi room. 

Virgin also say we can't run our own coax.

So now I'm in a bit of pickle because there is simply not a better time for this install to happen with no ceilings or plastered walls etc. 

Further to this, the cable at the end of the driveway is buried in mud and doesn't seem to have any cable box at all, is this normal or should virgin install a box on the pavement connection also? (the black cable box you seen in the tarmac usually). 

Thanks! 

Dan

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to book engineer for multi room

You can install a pull-rope through the route you wish the cable to take and once the restrictions are lifted, a VM engineer will pull approved co-ax through that route and connect everything up for you.

The co-ax is typically run from the cabinet directly to the outside of your house, there's not normally a connection point in the pavement, but there is usually a hole for the cable to access the duct underneath the pavement. The engineer will connect at your house connection though - the brown or purple box.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some of the original cable builds had the cable duct right to the surface with a black plastic bung in the end. Even when service tees were put in some of the access covers were missed, as is likely to be the case with yours. There is no need to worry about this unless at some time in the future the drop from the cabinet needs replacing. In fact if it does it makes the job easier as there is no risk of damage to the cable by the tee cover being fitted.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Danjjr
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I thought I'd have to do that. Not the end of the world I guess but a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know when they'll be resuming this type of work? Seems odd they're not doing it yet given all restrictions are gone next month. I'm sure they came to my house last year during lock down. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Danjjr wrote:

I thought I'd have to do that. Not the end of the world I guess but a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know when they'll be resuming this type of work? Seems odd they're not doing it yet given all restrictions are gone next month. I'm sure they came to my house last year during lock down. 

If it was for a fault related task then yes, they would turn up. This is a customer requested alteration to a correctly working installation, so is classed as non essential work under the current rules.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos