Menu
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 41 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect to Gaming/Lottery Related Websites

I am using TP-LINK Power Line adapters to network two Tivo boxes.

I now have no doubt that the Power Line adapters are causing my devices to connect to a neighbours TalkTalk connection.

However I now believe the TalkTalk problem is a separate issue to my inability to access various sites whilst connected to VM.

I have attached two screen shots one showing what happens when I am unable to connect to a website in this case:  https://www.theconnectionvirginmedia.com/Project-Complete and the other is an Ookla speed check showing I am connected to VM and getting my expected download and upload speeds

This matter is not browser specific and the problem sites do occasionally load! In fact I was able to connect to the above mentioned VM website yesterday to complete the survey.

As previously stated, I have few problems when I use an Android device connected to the SHUB3. The problem also does not manifest itself if I connect our Windows devices to a different ISP at another physical location.

I have been using VM for many years and the connection problem seems to have started late 2016 (I have found an email from SamKnows that confirm this). As this problem has now been going on for over two years any possible solutions would be most appreciated.Secure Connection Failed 11.12.18.JPGSpeed IP check 11.12.18.JPG

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 42 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried disconnecting (unplugging) the powerline adapters temporarily and rebooting your Win 10 PC?  If you can then access the websites then the issue is the powerlines. (The intermittent problem will likely be due to the fact that you will sometimes get a local IP issued from the VM hub and at others from the "rogue" router - it'll depend which DHCP server answers your PC's request for an IP address first).

Have you encrypted your powerline connection (usually by pushing a button on each of the devices within a 2 minute or so time frame - check your instructions for setting up using the "pair" button) which should prevent you connecting to your neighbour's connection?

You'll probably be able to find the instructions for your kit on the TP-Link website.  An example of the procedure is as follows:

1. Press and hold the pair button (usually a small button next to the ethernet socket but sometimes on the front of the unit) on one device for a least one second - the power LED will start to flash.

2. Within 2 minutes press and hold the pair button on the other device for at least one second - the power LED will start to flash.

3. When the LEDs stop flashing on both devices pairing is complete.

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 43 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I hope that I am not speaking too soon but the problem sites are now loading!

I would like to thank everybody for their assistance.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 44 of 48
Flag for a moderator

What did you do in the end to resolve the issue (if anything)?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Problem sorter
Message 45 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@paul0363 wrote:

What did you do in the end to resolve the issue (if anything)?

You should start your own thread if you have issues.

For the OP, his problem looks (to me at least) like dropped certificates and he never seems to have found the root cause.

If your problem is the same then reset your root certificates, check for over-active security software, check for malware, see that your computer is up to date with updates and has the correct time/date.  It's also important to check for transparent proxy, vpn's, and if your DNS server and Gateway are set correctly.

The op also appears to have insecure powerline adapters, when you mix two networks improperly then a lot of issues can happen, so that may have been all there was too it as well.

Post your specific issue in your own thread, To me the OP has issues that are likely to do with something on his network, but the list is larger than what I provide, so hard to track it all down.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 46 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I don't have an issue but offered a solution to the OP further up the thread. Was just wondering which piece of advice (if any) helped him in the end!

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 47 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I think I have spoken too soon as after about 2 weeks of everything working fine the problem has reared its ugly head again!

I really do appreciate the assistance and suggestions I have received but unfortunately the issue continues.

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 48 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@paul0363 wrote:

I don't have an issue but offered a solution to the OP further up the thread. Was just wondering which piece of advice (if any) helped him in the end!

Once again I would like to thank everybody for their suggestions.

I am now convinced that the Powerline adapters are the cause of my problems. Tonight I swapped 2 of my Powerline adapters to ensure all 3 are the same type i.e. Netgear Powerline PL1000 units. I also followed the supplied instructions to secure my network. Unfortunately this does not seem to have cured the problem and my laptop connected to TalkTalk. Restarting my computer got me back to VM but unable to connect to the problem sites!

As things stand either I disconnect the Powerline adapter from the SHUB3 and have problem free surfing or leave it connected and allow streaming between our 4 Tivo boxes.

If VM read the post perhaps I can have another 2 Tivo V6 boxes which would hopefully allow me to stream without the Powerline adapter?

0 Kudos