Menu
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 31 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect to Gaming/Lottery Related Websites

Hi Heather_J,

I don't think there is any doubt that our computers and on the odd occasion our Android devices are connecting to a TalkTalk ISP.

When I scan for WiFi connections I cannot find any unsecured TalkTalk connections, plus the problem also happens when I connect to the SHUB3 via an Ethernet cable.

I use Powerline adapters to network 2 of our Tivo boxes and it has been suggested that they are causing my laptop to connect to a neighbour's TalkTalk connection. The further inference being that TalkTalk software is then preventing me from connecting to certain websites.

The issues that concern me are as follows:

(1) I am somehow connecting to a TalkTalk customers internet connection.

(2) I am unable on most occasions to connect to gaming related websites.

(3) I cannot normally connect to other websites such as https://www.cableforum.uk/

(4) Is my VM connection being accessed by a third party?

(5) I am regularly not getting the download/upload speeds I pay for.

Whilst I accept this is an unusual issue, I would be most grateful if this matter could be sorted.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 32 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Patrick, 

Thanks for a quick reply Smiley Happy

Thing is, if your devices are connecting in preference to someone else's local network, there would be nothing I could do to prevent that as I have no means of getting in contact with the person that network belongs to. It's very likely the Talk Talk network is being monitored by a child safety feature which is preventing access to certain sites and it's also entirely possible that network is slower than your actual VM network. 

I would advise resetting your power-lines to default to rule them out but I can't see how they could be getting onto your neighbours network unless you're on the same electric circuit. 

Let's see if other Community members have anything to add to this as it's got me baffled. 

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 33 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am sure that the Power Line adapters are somehow or the other causing my devices both wireless and wired, to connect to a neighbour's TalkTalk account on a regular basis. The fact that devices connected to my password protected SHUB3 are somehow obtaining a TalkTalk IP is a bit disturbing.

At the time of writing I am connected to a VM IP address with good download and upload speeds. VM Child Safe if off yet I cannot check my lottery tickets!

I think I have a good idea of what is happening what I am seeking is a solution from VM.

I was wondering if replacing our 2 standard Tivo boxes with V6 boxes would resolve the matter, as potentially I could do away with the Power Line adapters?

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 34 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a VPN for added security?

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi MrCrustacean,

I've read through this whole thread and Heather has summed this up neatly in her last post. The problem only happens when you're somehow connected to Talk Talk servers which we have no control over so we are unable to provide a solution. 

The only advice we can give is to get your devices to ignore/forget the Talk Talk open network.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 36 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@John_G wrote:

Hi MrCrustacean,

I've read through this whole thread and Heather has summed this up neatly in her last post. The problem only happens when you're somehow connected to Talk Talk servers which we have no control over so we are unable to provide a solution. 

The only advice we can give is to get your devices to ignore/forget the Talk Talk open network.

Thank you for your quick reply.

What prompts me to do a broadband speed check is when I get a noticeable drop in my download and upload speeds. If I check my broadband connection the device will report that I am connected to my VM connection. However when I conduct a broadband speed check, I discover I am connected to TalkTalk with a TalkTalk IP address.

I have conducted multiple scans for an open TalkTalk connection but none has ever been found. Telling my wireless devices to forget the available TalkTalk does not therefore solve the problem. Indeed I cannot connect to the available TalkTalk networks as they are all password protected.

This issue also happens when I physically connect a computer to the SHUB3 by means of an Ethernet cable. I believe this problem is down to the use of Power Line adapters which I can only assume are interacting with a neighbours TalkTalk connection.

At the time I am writing this message I am connected to my VM connection with a VM IP address and I am getting my expected download and upload speeds. I cannot however connect to gaming related websites and the VM Web Safe settings are all off. The computer I am using is connected to the SHUB3 by Ethernet, which in turn is connected to a wire emerging from my lounge wall from a box with Telewest written on it. BT physically removed their phone from my premises several years ago, so the only way I can achieve a wired connection to the internet is via a cable connection.

I understand that mobile devices would in all probability connect to a TalkTalk access point if it was broadcasting a strong signal and was not password protected. However as previously stated all TalkTalk connections I can find are secured with a password.

As far as I can tell I am doing nothing that would cause these issues?

The reason I have Power Line adapters connected to the SHUB3 is to allow the networking of 2 standard Tivo boxes. If these boxes were replaced by Tivo V6 boxes then I could network wirelessly which might resolve this strange issue?

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 37 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Even though I have the VM Child Safe application toggled off could it still be applied to my account due to a bug?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 38 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey MrCrustacean, 

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

If it was Websafe that was preventing you from accessing these sites, you would get a VM message on the screen indicating this. Are you getting a Talk Talk page when trying to gain access?

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 39 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J,

On the odd occasion I have had the TalkTalk HomeSafe screen pop up when my devices have been connected to their network.

At the time of writing I am definitely connected to VM but the gaming/lottery websites will not load. Occasionally the problem sites do in fact load on our Windows machines and I rarely have issues with our Android devices. I have also taken my laptop to a relatives house and had no problems connecting via their BT Hub.

Something connected with my VM account seems to be preventing me from making a connection to the problem sites.

I am now of the view that the TalkTalk matter is a separate issue and is nothing to do with my connection problems.

Kind regards,

Patrick

I was wondering if the problem could be down to the way

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 40 of 42
Flag for a moderator

You mention you're using powerline adapters, if your neighbour is also using them then if there is any kind of connection between your houses power lines through a central location then its possible you're just ending up on their network, having a password on your hub3 only affects login to the admin page or connection to the wifi, over a wired connection it doesn't do anything as anything connected via a wired connection is just assumed to be within your network and trusted accordingly as physical access to your network is required, powerline adapters just use electrical wiring to create a wired connection instead of using a cat5 cable, so if there is any crosstalk happening you could end up on someone elses network, which adapters are you using as some will actually create an encrypted connection between the plugs to try to prevent this sort of crosstalk, but this is an issue outside of VM's control

0 Kudos