Menu
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Unable to Connect to Gaming/Lottery Related Websites

We currently have a VM SHUB3 which seems to be functioning correctly. However I now find that I am unable to connect to any gaming/gambling website including the National Lottery when using either of our laptops which are both running Windows 10. I can however connect to any gaming related website if I use my Samsung S6.

I have tried connecting with Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome & Opera but none of them work. A web search brings up a list of the sites, but when you click on the link for the National Lottery etc you get informed of a Secure Connection failure.

The fact that the problem exists on both laptops makes me wonder if it is something to do with the SHUB3?

Up until a day or two ago I was able to check my lottery tickets without any problems and both of the laptops seem to be functioning correctly,

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect to Gaming/Lottery Related Websites

Hi MrCrustacean,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Apologies for your connection problems. Do you get any specific errors when you're trying to access certain sites? Do you see a Virgin Media page suggesting the page is blocked?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather J,

For some as yet unresolved matter, I am now unable to connect to the National Lottery and other gaming websites using either of our 2 laptops running Windows 10. I have tried to connect using the following browsers: Microsoft Edge; Google Chrome; Opera and last but not least Firefox. Interstingly I can connect to these sites using my Samsung S6 Android smartphone.

I have attached a screenshot of what happens when I try and connect using Firefox. I get a similar response using the other browsers it seems to be an issue with unsafe security settings? Could it be something to do with the SHUB3?

Regards,

PatrickProblem connecting to National Lottery.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

You probably have Web Safe enabled. National lottery for example is classed as a gambling website. Since it uses HTTPS VM can only break the connection to it when Websafe is on, but it cannot show the Web Safe error message. Only HTTP websites can show the Websafe error.

Adjust your websafe settings to disable gambling or turn off Websafe altogether if you don't need it on, link (sign in with your primary My VM account): https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/websafe/overview

2013 to 2018 (gone.)
0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke,

I turned off Websafe but unfortunately I still cannot load the National Lottery website.

It is odd that this is a problem on 2 laptops but not with Android devices? I would also like to add that this is a recent problem.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@MrCrustacean wrote:

Hi Shelke,

I turned off Websafe but unfortunately I still cannot load the National Lottery website.

You sometimes have to reboot your modem and problem devices after making the change to Websafe. Try that and let us know how it goes.

2013 to 2018 (gone.)
0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke,

I have rebooted the Supehub 3 but the problem persists.

Do you have any furher ideas as I am starting to think it is somehow connected to the SHUB3?

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@MrCrustacean wrote:

Hi Shelke,

I have rebooted the Supehub 3 but the problem persists.

Do you have any furher ideas as I am starting to think it is somehow connected to the SHUB3?

Regards,

You found Websafe turned on which causes that error you're encountering, if turning it off didn't work it likely means that you need a staff member to go into your account on their end and turn it off as it sometimes can become stuck to on, even though the customer toggled it off on their end.

In the mean time feel free to change the DNS on your computer to something like Google's, that should bypass the issue: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Reboot the device after making the DNS changes to avoid having to do a command line DNS flush. If you're still encountering the problem with failed SSL connections then you might have an antivirus doing "man in the middle" attacks on HTTPS connections for your computer. In which case let us know which antivirus you use.

2013 to 2018 (gone.)
0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke,

I spoke to the telephone help desk who ran some tests. The SHUB3 was connecting to the National Lottery website in modem mode. so I am being allocated a new IP address and all will be well by 28/10/17.

Thanks for the assistance.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
MrCrustacean
Tuning in
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke,

I waited until 28/10/17 and unfortunately I'm still unable to access the National Lottery website! I am also finding other websites are reusing to load due to authentication issues. I am running Windows 10 and I rely on the Windows Defender Security Centre. As far as I can tell the Firewall is not blocking these sites. Indeed when I turn the Firewall off the sites still won't load. As previously stated I have no problem accessing the Lottery website on my Samsung Android phone whilst it is connected to the SHUB3 by wifi.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos