cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twice delayed installation

TroyBarlow
On our wavelength

Hello,

Today VM rang to tell my my fibre installation has now been delayed a second time, which puts me over a month past the original installation date, and nearly two months since I arranged installation. The call service agent gave me some vague reasons and mentioned "digging" but I assured her that no digging would be taking place on the high street I live on! Neighbours on either side of me have VM fibre, so that shouldn't be a problem. 

I've also had two "external works" dates elapse with no one showing up. I suspect that the installation crews are either over-booked, or not being honest when they make appointments. I asked the agent if I would ever actually get an installation as if it gets pushed back again, I'd rather figure something else out, but she ensured that it would get installed "this time."

Has anyone in this situation had luck getting an installation done? This is beyond frustrating and is really putting me off VM altogether. I doubt I'd recommend them to anyone else at this point

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i would add to @Andrew-G post - if you do decide to go down 2 install paths then let the VM install happen even if you get an 'openreach' one first and decide to keep that as your supplier

if the VM install does not happen before you cancel then any external work is likely to be cancelled so if you decide in the future you want VM you are back to square one

so let them install it and use the 14 day cooling off period to cancel

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Z92
Trouble shooter

You may or may not get an actual connection by the date you've been given - that's the best you'll ever get. It's only ever a guess.

Digging may be require regardless of whether your neighbours have vm services. Despite what some people people think, when you request a cable, it is taken direct from the local cabinet to your house, so any underground blockages will require a dig team and the pavement dug up. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you've got an ISP working at the moment you might want to sit it out, and wait until VM get their act together (this can take months, and is always galling because of the total lack of accurate information, and farcical customer communication.

If you don't have an ISP at the moment, you might want to order from an ISP that uses Openreach if acceptable speeds are available, see who gets connected first, and cancel whoever hasn't.  Typical connection times for Openreach are a couple of weeks.  

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i would add to @Andrew-G post - if you do decide to go down 2 install paths then let the VM install happen even if you get an 'openreach' one first and decide to keep that as your supplier

if the VM install does not happen before you cancel then any external work is likely to be cancelled so if you decide in the future you want VM you are back to square one

so let them install it and use the 14 day cooling off period to cancel

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@-tony- That's positively Machiavellian.  I'm deeply impressed.

TroyBarlow
On our wavelength

Thanks all. I do have a slow/unreliable ADSL connection with TalkTalk right now which I'm month-to-month on, so I'll sit tight for a bit. It's just frustrating when you can tell the CSR has been given a script which likely has nothing to do with your particular case. It all comes across as very dishonest

i am off lin at the moment via VM - the main cable was damaged and i am waiting for a repull

i got a text the other day saying there were problems and my repull had had to be moved from the 22d Sept to the 22nd Sept - read that again and laugh - thats the ways it works

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @TroyBarlow,

I've been able to locate your account, can you confirm what date you've been issued for the installation?

It appears that we're unable to bring this forward due to construction issue that will need to be resolved before your install can be completed

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks @david_Bn . I've been told that the install date is now 27 Sept. The previous scheduled date of 7 Sept was meant to account for construction and council permission, but that was pushed back to the date I have now.

Ah I see @TroyBarlow

We can only apologise for the delay caused, we know this must be disappointing, 

Please do let us know how your installation goes on the 27th September and if there's anything else you need in the meantime.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth