Menu
BBIssues
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Turning off WiFi on Hub 3? Want to connect Access Point

My WiFi keeps dropping on my Hub 3.

I want to connect an access point (AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Access Point) to it so that the TP Link device is responsible for sending the WiFi signal, instead of the Hub 3.

I have set the TP Link to access mode.

What do I need to do to the Hub 3?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turning off WiFi on Hub 3? Want to connect Access Point

The best way would be to disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub3.

login to the web interface: http://192.168.0.1 

Select "modem mode" 

Select "Enable Modem Mode" 

Select "Apply changes" and leave the hub at least 5 minutes. 

Then connect your WiFi router to port 1 on the HUB. It should automatically get an address and start working. If it doesn't it might require a factory reset or configuration as specified in the instructions for the router. 

0 Kudos
BBIssues
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. IT seems to have worked. 

Although the Hub 3 is showing a solid red light and nothing else.

Apparently that means it is hot? Is that right?

The TV box is showing a white light and the two arrows. I'm not sure it was doing that before?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@BBIssues wrote:

Thanks. IT seems to have worked. 

Although the Hub 3 is showing a solid red light and nothing else.

Apparently that means it is hot? Is that right?

The TV box is showing a white light and the two arrows. I'm not sure it was doing that before?

RED = Overheating

MAGENTA = Modem Mode

Go figure!

The ethernet (wired) connections on your HUB, other than the one connected to your own router, will not provide an internet connection. You must use one of the ethernet connections on YOUR router. Oh and make sure your TP-Link device is in router mode.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if your access point works different than my BT whole Wi-Fi disc.  My kit is not a full router but more of a Wi-Fi access. 

I have NOT set the Hub3 to modem mode but just disabled both Wi-Fi channels.  This gives me 3 spare LAN options on the Hub3. In modem mode the 3 LAN ports become useless.

I am no tech wizard but read many other owners of the same BT whole Wi-Fi kit setup in this same method. Modem mode is if you have full fat router.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@sayekm wrote:

Not sure if your access point works different than my BT whole Wi-Fi disc.  My kit is not a full router but more of a Wi-Fi access. 

I have NOT set the Hub3 to modem mode but just switched disabled both Wi-Fi channels.  This gives me 3 spare LAN options on the Hub3. In modem mode the 3 LAN ports become useless.

I am no tech wizard but read many other owners of the same BT whole Wi-Fi kit setup in this same method. Modem mode is if you have full fat router.

I believe the OP's device can be either.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A quick Google and I see Archer C1200 and C6. They decent routers 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
BBIssues
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, it;s not an Archer C1200 it is a TP Link AP300:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/access-point/ap300/

Thanks. It didn't work in the end.

As you say, the ethernet ports on the Virgin Hub didn't seem to work so my TV and the Virgin TV Box didn't get a connection via Ethernet from the Virgin Hub.

My TP Link router doesn't have enough Ethernet ports for the TV and Virgin TV Box.

Also, for some reason, my laptop but not my phone could connect to the TP Link via WiFi. 

The phone has connected to the TP Link before, when it was in repeater/extender mode.

I guess my other option is to try a powerfline Ethernet extender/adapter so that the computer can be wired away from the Virgin Hub.

Any recommendations?

BT will be activated in about 10 days but I'd rather stay with Virgin Media if I can find a way to get a solid internet connection away from the Hub.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@BBIssues wrote:

Sorry, it;s not an Archer C1200 it is a TP Link AP300:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/access-point/ap300/

Thanks. It didn't work in the end.

As you say, the ethernet ports on the Virgin Hub didn't seem to work so my TV and the Virgin TV Box didn't get a connection via Ethernet from the Virgin Hub.

My TP Link router doesn't have enough Ethernet ports for the TV and Virgin TV Box.

Also, for some reason, my laptop but not my phone could connect to the TP Link via WiFi. 

The phone has connected to the TP Link before, when it was in repeater/extender mode.

I guess my other option is to try a powerfline Ethernet extender/adapter so that the computer can be wired away from the Virgin Hub.

Any recommendations?

BT will be activated in about 10 days but I'd rather stay with Virgin Media if I can find a way to get a solid internet connection away from the Hub.

Ah, I think we got the wrong end of the stick.

There was an assumption your were replacing the HUB with the TP-Link, not using it to extend wireless internet to another area of your home!

Ok, put the HUB back into router mode, reset the TP-Link to an access point and set the SSID and password to be the same as your HUB.

Devices should roam between your HUB and TP-Link, depending on where you are in your home.

The above is, another assumption!, assuming that the TP-Link is connected to the HUB via ethernet and is in another area of your home, NOT just next to the HUB!

0 Kudos
BBIssues
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I didn't want to extend the WiFi. I just wanted to make it more reliable.

The WiFi from the Hub keeps dropping.

So I thought if I switched the Hub to modem mode and connected the TP Link to it via Ethernet.

The TP Link could send out the WiFi signal. Hopefully, this would be more reliable than the Hub and not drop out.

Basically, the WiFi signal keeps "turning off" (and then back on again) and I'm looking for a way to overcome this without changing ISPs.

It happens even if you are in the same room as the Hub, so I don't think it is a range issue.

0 Kudos